Black tie/ White Tie Shirt cuff showing

Discussion in 'Suits' started by david.dr, Aug 18, 2014.

1. david.dr

david.dr New in Town

How much shirt cuff should be showing below the jacket sleeve end for White Tie and Black Tie?

I have seen many variations on both, here at FL and on the Black Tie Guide.

With Black Tie I have even seen photos showing no white shirt cuff below the jacket end.

Thanks!

David

2. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap One of the Regulars

I have always thought that black tie is more or less the same rules as suiting. Whereas with white tie, the tailcoat sleeves should be a bit tighter and shorter, therefore a bit more cuff is seen.

3. B. White

B. White New in Town

shirt cuffs should be showing below the jacket sleeve end for 2-3 fingers width i guess

4. Awesomest Guy

Awesomest Guy Familiar Face

With White Tie, a bit more cuff should show, to coordinate better with the high collar. With Black Tie, the same rules apply as with standard suiting.

5. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

What source is this from?

6. Awesomest Guy

I read it on Gentleman's Gazette (I think), or perhaps on Black Tie Guide. Anyway, it makes sense to me.

7. Awesomest Guy

8. Edward

Edward Bartender

Yeah, imo anything much more than what you'd do with a lounge suit jacket risks looking too short, but a hair shorter is de riguer with white tie.

(PS... I edited the title of this thread from it's formerly 'censored' title - I think OP made an easy typo that was read by the software as an expletive. ;) )