Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black ties?

Emil

New in Town
Many people today say that black neckties are only for funerals, and black bow ties are only to be worn with a tuxedo.

But if you see pictures or TV programs made 50 years ago, a lot of people are actually wearing a black neckie with a normal business suit.

Was that also the case with black bow ties, or have they always only been appropiate with formalwear?

I kind of miss that look. I think that a medium grey suit and fedora, black necktie, white shirt and black shoes is a really sharp look.

Emil

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
A black necktie is not a formal necktie. Black necties were worn commonly throughou the 20's to now without having the connetation of being strictly for formal occasions. This thinking is more recent with the decline of men wearing ties in general.

The black bow tie is more of a formal tie reserved for wearing with formal wear, though it is not mandate that it cannot be worn with a regular suit... though I wouldn't.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Black ties are my fave- a nice floppy black tie of good proportion, with a nice knot can't be beat- such subdued sophistication-
Bogart used to wear black ties- a black tie is 'just a tie', no pretence-

There were a lot of fairly conservative dressers back in the day...

B
T

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Black bow ties, I would say, are strictly for after six in the evening, i.e. dinner jackets/tuxedos. Same can be said for white bow ties - tails only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot