Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blauer Tufnyl jackets...good enough for Chicago winter?

Anybody out there have experience with these? They are a little costly new but used like the ones I have pictured below are pretty darn cheap. I'm wondering if these are actually any good against the cold? If you have experience with them please share. Thanks!
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Should be good, but then, I submitted to a Moutain Hardware Down coat for the really, really cold days we get in Iowa.

Should be good, but then, I submitted to a Moutain Hardware Down coat for the really, really cold days we get in Iowa.
Yeah I have the Pike Bros N1 and an Alpha N3B...just thought this might be a good addition for something in the middle.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I had never heard of the brand until I saw the pic and realized I have the exact same jacket. I literally just went out into the garage and it's the same one. My grandfather was an assistant chief in the fire department and he wore this as his winter work jacket as his job was primarily a desk job once he became chief. Truth-be-told, he lived in Virginia but told me he always found the jacket way too hot for his climate, so he wore it without the liner. He gave it to me when I moved to upstate NY and I've used the jacket as my snow shoveling jacket for years. I'm a 40R and the jacket is a 46L, but it works fine for the job. Thick quilted one piece removeable liner & sleeves. The tufnyl is quite thick on it's own and it sheds water. The collar is clearly manmade but warm and cozy. Big, beefy Talon zipper. I find it almost too warm when shoveling snow but it's a helluva jacket. If it fit me better, I'd wear it as a daily beater for sure.

My jacket is like the first one listed - it doesn't have an area to clip a badge on.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
My guess is the warmth factor is similar to the pike bros. I have several Blauer cardigans and pull overs i use at work. Super warm and good wind blockers. Brand is a good value for the $

My guess is the warmth factor is similar to the pike bros. I have several Blauer cardigans and pull overs i use at work. Super warm and good wind blockers. Brand is a good value for the $
That's what I'm hoping for PB is great but this should cover my daiy-aire. last two days reminded me it's not een winter for real yet and I was plenty cold.

Jrolfe

A-List Customer
I bought the brown one...$30 how bad can it be. Plus, if it's good enough for this guy:
firstblooddennehy.png

Big Tom Callahan, I heard he could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a similar Blauer, a mint brown one from (the 1990's) I think. It's a thick, shiny nylon twill weave. Zip out lining. They seem to fit large. Mine is a 40 (23.5 pit to pit) and it fits well. I usually wear a 42. Not sure it is all that warm, to be honest.

I wore mine here when the weather was around 46 degrees (about as cold as it gets here) - it was no warmer than a Carhartt Detroit. I can also wear it in warmer weather without the liner and it's just a thick nylon windbreaker with a more interesting look. This style is almost unknown in Australia - except through the movies.

Last edited:
I have a similar Blauer, a mint brown one from (the 1990's) I think. It's a thick, shiny nylon twill weave. Zip out lining. They seem to fit large. Mine is a 40 (23.5 pit to pit) and it fits well. I usually wear a 42. Not sure it is all that warm, to be honest.

I wore mine here when the weather was around 46 degrees (about as cold as it gets here) - it was no warmer than a Carhartt Detroit. I can also wear it in warmer weather without the liner and it's just a thick nylon windbreaker with a more interesting look. This style is almost unknown in Australia - except through the movies.

Mine looks like this without the fur collar.

View attachment 200454
Good to hear about the size. Mine is a 40” as well.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Maybe mine is a different version - they certainly don't make my version any more. I thought these nylon shiny ones had been phased out by law enforcement 20 years ago. I understand a few prison and national park staff may have worn them more recently. Our own police in Melbourne wore a navy version in the late 1980's. I had a used one of these too. They are like the ultimate nylon windbreaker.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
So this guy finally arrived. Spent a good 10 days in the wind. I dubbed it the “Radio Shack security guard”. Not bad for $30, should be ok when it gets colder here. Unbelievably mild temps in Chicago. Please don’t try and steal any floppy disks...
View attachment 202279
View attachment 202281

You couldn't fit those pics on a 5-1/4 floppy. Man, have times changed.

FlatCap99

One of the Regulars
I had a hard time finding a jacket that kept me warm during Michigan winters, so it was just easier for me to move to the west coast :)

For real though, those Chicago winters are no joke, they make Michigan look tame. It is very rare I see the 30s anymore, but when we get cold snaps here I am often unprepared since I really only have my leather jackets now, but my Seven kept me pretty warm in Iceland. I don't like wearing a lot of bulky layers so started to embrace base layers.

Strange side question because you probably have experience with it; I was curious about making a winter jacket and using the Alpaca lining, but am wondering if it does a good job keeping you warm. I have sherpa lined hoodies and love them because they do help keep the heat in, so thought it may be an option for a leather jacket.

I had a hard time finding a jacket that kept me warm during Michigan winters, so it was just easier for me to move to the west coast :)

For real though, those Chicago winters are no joke, they make Michigan look tame. It is very rare I see the 30s anymore, but when we get cold snaps here I am often unprepared since I really only have my leather jackets now, but my Seven kept me pretty warm in Iceland. I don't like wearing a lot of bulky layers so started to embrace base layers.

Strange side question because you probably have experience with it; I was curious about making a winter jacket and using the Alpaca lining, but am wondering if it does a good job keeping you warm. I have sherpa lined hoodies and love them because they do help keep the heat in, so thought it may be an option for a leather jacket.
I’ve had a couple alpaca lined Aero’s and they do a decent job at keeping warm, particularly with a hoody underneath. Def way warmer than drill. I like corduroy too. It’s deceptively warm and comfortable.

FlatCap99

One of the Regulars
I forgot about cord! I saw your jacket with the cord and it looked like it could hold some heat. I have heavyweight tartan on my Seven, but I definitely think that alpaca or corduroy would be a better option for warmth. We hover around the 40s during the winter which isn't very cold, but it puts me in the middle of my other jackets being juussst not warm enough at night or the cooler days, so I think alpaca or cord would get me over the hump for something that can be a serviceable winter jacket...albeit a wimpy winter :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB