Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blizzard Adventures

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I had a great Christmas this year with my niece and her husband near Ithaca, NY. Good times, family, animals (including horses!). Much fun.
But my trip home turned into an adventure. The bus to New York was only an hour late, not bad at all, considering the blizzard conditions. But my trip home on the subway was harrowing. A trip that should have taken 45 to 50 minutes almost became an all nighter.
Once the train got above ground, in the Bronx, things slowed down drastically. Because of signal problems the train waited up to 10 minutes at every stop instead of 30 seconds. Finally we reached East 180th St., which sits on ground level. The train hit a small up hill stretch and just died. It shuddered and lurched violently. After a half hour of this, and having moved about 500 feet out of the station, they announced they were going back to the previous station. The tracks were totally frozen, and there was no power from the third rail. We finally got the the previous station and they tossed everybody out. We were on our own! I had traveled 250 miles, only to be stuck barely a mile form home.
I staggered out into the night of the South Bronx, among with several dozen other people.
Finally a gypsy cab driver pulled up to me and offered me a ride home. That alone was an adventure. People in New York do NOT know how to drive in the snow.
So I was finally safe at home, 4 1/2 hours after reaching my subway station.
This made me recall another blizzard adventure, from around 1979, when I was wandering around the Plaza at Lincoln Center in knee deep snow, and a couple came out and offered me tickets to the opera they were seeing at the State Theater. They had decided to bail out, and they handed me their tickets. So I saw the last two thirds of Girl of the Golden West.
Anyway, those are two very different but memorable adventures I've had in blizzards. Anybody got other interesting stories of survival and weirdness from blizzards?

Foofoogal

Banned
Glad you made it. Just the word blizzard scares me. I have no idea how people up North or in places like that survive. I guess this is no different than when during Hurricanes it will take 24 hours to go 10 miles or something. Yikes..
----------
Off topic: I actually walked into the wrong house and nearly got eaten by 2 very mean dogs. Thank goodness the owners ran quickly.
Long story and I was completely sober. All the houses looked alike where I was. Never will forget this Christmas.

When i was in High School we ditched school and went into NYC- Mahatttan via the Long Island RR. We had a great time, spending the morning visiting museums ate a late lunch and when we had come out the weather had changed from sun to heavy snow. There were already 4 inches of heavy snow and it contiinued to fall fast. We made it to Pen Station and got down to the LIRR level to take the train to Copiague on the Babylon line. Trains were delayed and the snow was really interfering with the operation of the railroad. Once on board the train slowly left the station. You go thru mostly tunnels until out of Manhattan as i recall then either before or after Jamaica Station you go thru a huge switch yard that directs the trains to various lines. Here the snow was piling up fast and the track crews would douse the switches in kerosene and set them on fire to keep them from freezing. The visions of switches engulfed in flame materializing thru heavy snowfall as you got close to them was scary and mesmerizing. I get a feeling of trepidation just remembering how an "innocent" school ditch day nearly became an ordeal on the order of Ulysses. I did take the train from Grand Central up to Plattsburgh the day after a big snow storm and the train arrived about an hour late due to the snow and weather.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
[video=youtube;Nmf-I1WNpQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmf-I1WNpQ4[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points