Blondie's shirt from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by The Good, Jun 19, 2011.

1. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

I'm aware of the more iconic Man With No Name railroad/striped shirt that Clint Eastwood wears throughout all three of Sergio Leone's "Dollars Trilogy" films; those being A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. This light blue shirt isn't all that hard to find, whether in reproduction form, or something modern that resembles it.

However, at some point before Clint Eastwood's character, Blondie, acquire's his famous olive-green poncho near the end of the film, he is wearing a dark blue shirt with white or off-white polkadot-esque patterns. He wears this particular shirt for most of the film's first half (often under a coat), and is last seen wearing it when he collapses in the desert after the encounter with the carriage (after which he also learns of the name of the grave in Sad Hill).

Here are some pictures of this shirt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems that back in 2004, somebody was wondering the same thing as I am right now:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=2152.0

While the sleeves are a bit puffy or loose looking, this is one shirt I wouldn't mind collecting, if a reproduction of it actually exists at a reasonable price. I'm unaware of any, as it stands right now, but maybe someone else on this board might know.

Feel free to mention any modern shirts that look similar as well. I seem to recall that in the Howard Hughes book titled "Once Upon a Time in the Italian West," he mentions that it is a "hippie shirt" of some sort. I'm not sure about the hippie connection, but it looked good for the film.
    http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Once_Upon_a_Time_in_the_Italian_West

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. Big Fella

Big Fella Familiar Face

I have the perfect contact for you, A Stitch In Time, basnyder@comcast.net. Barb Snyder aka Blackhills Barb. She makes alot of the clothes for Cowboy action shooters in the Northeast.

4. presence

presence New in Town

5. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

Thank you for showing that shirt! It does look very close to Blondie's shirt. I have also seen Old Navy selling a similar shirt, almost two years ago, although at the time I wasn't ready to buy it, and it looks like they do not offer the one I've seen.