Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blousing Shirts - The TUCK

clevispin

One of the Regulars
What is the most "elegant" (for lack of a better word) look for the shirt tuck @ the trousers? I've tended to go a little billowy in the back & very flat in the front and a little pinch out at the sides. Is there a classic line for this?

m

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Matt and I do it the way I learned it in the Navy: with the two folds facing each other and "looking" toward the center of the back.

That's called the Military tuck.

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Military Tuck

Yep, that's what we use in the USAF for our dress blues. We also use shirt garters. I've seen two types. One type comes in four seperate straps that attach to the bottom of the shirt and then to your socks. I hate these. The second type comes in only two seperate parts attaching to the bottom of the shirt in a sort of "Y" shape. The top of the "Y" attaches to the shirt and the bottom of the "Y" has a loop that you stick your foot through. It is made of softer material and is more comfortable.

czack

One of the Regulars
shirt garters bite

I truly hate shirt garters, I'm pretty furry and I lose hair on my shins. Mainly, I just think they're uncomfortable and don't really add anything.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Now I know

Thanks.

I sez to my Mrs. "Hey, learned something new today, there's a proper way to tuck in your shirt."

"You didn't know that?" sez she. "It's called a military tuck."

:eusa_doh:

ltedge

New in Town
Shirt Garters

I'm a Navy Officer and wear shirt garters pretty much daily to keep the military tuck in my shirt. I wear the kind that attach to the top of the socks. True, they are uncomfortable, but you get used to them after awhile and they eventually wear a bare spot off your legs so they don't pull your hair anymore. I've found the tight tuck I get with garters can't be duplicated.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I'm with those who say go with the military tuck. I learned the technique as an Air Force cadet many years ago. Couple this tuck with a custom tailored shirt and the look cannot be beat.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
And in the Corps it was one pleat on each side facing out kinda like a bi-swing on a G-1 flight jacket. And of course in front military alignment and no Irish pennants.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Thunderbolt said:
Yep, that's what we use in the USAF for our dress blues. We also use shirt garters. I've seen two types. One type comes in four seperate straps that attach to the bottom of the shirt and then to your socks. I hate these. The second type comes in only two seperate parts attaching to the bottom of the shirt in a sort of "Y" shape. The top of the "Y" attaches to the shirt and the bottom of the "Y" has a loop that you stick your foot through. It is made of softer material and is more comfortable.

I feel your pain.

Some of the guys in my flight in basic had bloodstains on thier trousers at the knees. Horrible, terrible. Your shirt looks sharp, but wearing those garters for more than a few hours is a test of what one can endure. I manage to clip them on most times in a manner that minimizes chafing, but it still cuts off circulation at the top of the calf while sitting and makes most seated positions uncomfortable.

I'll never blouse another dress shirt another way, though!

ltedge

New in Town
airfrogusmc said:
And in the Corps it was one pleat on each side facing out kinda like a bi-swing on a G-1 flight jacket. And of course in front military alignment and no Irish pennants.

airfrogusmc - I wear mine the same way, that's how the Marine DI's teach the navy Officer Cadets in OCS. Anything else doesn't feel right to me.

matei

One Too Many
You learn something new every day.

I was in the army, and I never heard about this. The DI's never taught us about the proper wear of the class A uniform. The most detail they went into was about stripping the polish off of our new shoes.

Thanks for posting this. I believe I'll give it a try, as most of my shirts are way to big for me in the midsection and tend to blouse out. The shirtmakers seem to think that if you have a thick neck you must obviously have a gigantic belly as well.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
matei said:
most of my shirts are way to big for me in the midsection and tend to blouse out. The shirtmakers seem to think that if you have a thick neck you must obviously have a gigantic belly as well.

For a nominal charge, a tailor can clean up the excess material by trimming the side seams and/or adding darts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points