Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue Black dye?

SheBear74

Practically Family
Miss Moonlight, that's what I did before the wedding. I used L'oreal products from Sally's and didn't like it nearly as much as the Garnier Nutrisse Ultra color (in the box). I have to dye it again soon and am not sure what I will do as far as adding more blue. Depends on how brave I am feeling that day. lol For now though I will stick with the Garnier it has great shine and more blue than I have noticed in others.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
No, in fact I'm not sure what you're referring to. lol Here's what I mean...

Oooh okay, you're using pre-mixed hues. Gotcha :)

For now though I will stick with the Garnier it has great shine and more blue than I have noticed in others.

When I did the blue-black colour, I used to use Superior Preference in Deepest Indigo, have you tried that one? It lasted so much longer than anything else I tried... And I tried them all lol If you ever want to go plum coloured, try their Deepest Plum, the hue is gorgeous.

Last edited:

Vinnyhair

New in Town
I also agree with reccomendation of l'oreal Superior preference range, it by far outlasts all the other commercial DIY hair dyes. the conditioner that comes with it is nice and thick and coats hair to minimise color fade.

Anything in the Schwarzkopf range - I'm not a fan, not as good quality compared to loreal and garnier.

Garnier Nutrisse - This is my second favourite, it is by far the most moisturing hair dye, give lots of shine and makes your hair extremely smooth. also gives nice color and good lasting power.

Garnier 100% color - Intense color but not very long lasting, color fades quickly with repeated washing.

L'oreal Feria - The old Feria gave very intense beautiful color, unfortunately it also fades very quickly. I am impressed with the new Feria, which is now called Feria Preference in Australia, appears to combine the superior preference technology with the intense coloring of feria. The new formula seems to last quite a bit longer.

Eventhough a lot of hair dyes say they are permanent, unfortunately we all know the color fades with repeated washing. Nothing looks as good as freshly dyed blue black hair. So when the colour gets dull I just have to re-dye it. Sometimes I use semipermanents in between permanents to minimise chemical exposure.

sutramaya

New in Town
SheBear i love the blue black hair color you have and although i have blue black i can NOT really see the blue in it like yours....can you please tell me how you got that intense BLUE black where the blue is visible?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have used two different professional brands (Redken and Goldwell) that I know from experience have long lasting reds and neither of their blue blacks have lasted as long as Superior Prefrence. Another trick I like to do is mix some Manic Panic raven in my shampoo and conditioner. When I used the pro color (lost the blue tones with the first shampoo), I used half raven/half after midernight to restore the blue tone.

Nikita B

New in Town
I have been dying my own hair for years. Lately I have been pale pink and was using the Manic Panic over bleached hair but it faded so quickly. There is a brand at Sally called Ion which has recently released bights, I have the fuschia and red and I sheer the color down with conditioner. These are so much more pigmented than manic panic, still demi but longer lasting and cheaper. There is a blue, I suggesting doing a duo process when you dye (which is what I have to do - bleach then color), use the black you like then put the Ion over the top, leave it on for a while. You can also add some of the tube to your conditioner to deposit small amounts of blue every time you wash your hair to keep it vibrant.
Ion Brights

JennieWren

Familiar Face
I kept my hair blue-black for a couple of years (it is currently dark purple-red, in recovery from hot pink and the vast amounts of bleaching it needed to be hot pink). I used L'Oreal Feria shade 21 (the blue black one), then added Manic Panic After Midnight Blue on top of that, giving it a couple of days to rest and bleed out any remaining colour in between. I put some Manic Panic in my shampoo and conditioner as well to keep the colour really blue. I would use the L'Oreal once every six weeks or so, and redo my whole head with just the Manic Panic once in between. When I Manic Panic it I make a stylish saran wrap hat and wrap the whole thing in a bandana and sleep on it, then rinse it out in the morning. The only downside is that if you go swimming your colour bleeds down your shoulders.

epr25

Practically Family
I was wondering where the superior preference was being purchased? Is this just at the drug store or something that comes from Sally's?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering where the superior preference was being purchased? Is this just at the drug store or something that comes from Sally's?

It's from the drug store. It's made by Loreal. It usually costs around $13.00, but I've gotten it on sale for $9.00 :)

Celaeno

New in Town
Hi guys, I found this thread while searching ways to get blue/black hair, and after reading through, this seems like the best place for help.

I use to use Feria Starry Nights blue black, and I loved it. Great color, and had lots of people commenting on it. (may natural color is pretty light, so the blue showed great) I actually had people doing double takes because they couldn't tell if my hair was actually that blue, or if it was the light hitting it. The problem was it would fade in about 3 weeks. Because of the length and thickness of my hair, I would have to buy 2 boxes to cover it all. It was getting a little too expensive to spend $20 every time I needed to re-dye.

A friend of a friend use to work at a salon and took me to Sally's. He grabbed the Ion jet black that has violet base. It came out nice, but not as blue as I wanted. But it was under $10. He said that if I bought a blue semi-permanent and combed that in, that it would give the blue I want. I tried it with Manic Panic, and it didn't work at all. Though, after reading through this thread, I might not have left it on long enough. I currently have the Ion Brights blue in my hair and am planning on letting it sit for a couple hours before I rinse it, hoping that it will work.

But what I am really looking for is a color I can do all at once. Not having to comb in the blue after. (It always makes a mess in my shower every time I shampoo after that) Does anyone know of a color at Sally's that would give the Feria Starry Night color? It's so much cheaper, and I have found that the Ion color at least is much nicer to my hair than any of the store bought box brands.

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner