Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue hat with black band?

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
As mentioned in the Christy's thread, I am in need of a blue hat and, being very keen on contrasting bands, but wanting something quite dressy, which I think precludes a lighter band, am considering ordering a Navy Adventurer with a black band. Before I do so, however, I wanted to seek some opinions on whether this was a good, bad or indifferent combination?

Many thanks,

Anthony.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
vintage

I have seen one navy vintage hat on here which appeared to have a black band..may have been extremely dark navy..eitherway, i thought that combination looked unnatural in the photo.

options:

light grey adventurer with dark navy band...may bring out blue hues of felt
navy hat with the dark brown band.....the dark brown band is the band that the brown adventurer is default with and looks almost black....may work?

Save a photo of a blue adventurer or similar navy colored hat on the site.

then in ms-paint or photoshop, recolor the band with the color you want- see how it looks enlarged and shrunken. that's what i do.

on a side note. i do have a dark blue/black finely checkered sport coat which i love- so you never know for sure unless you see it in person.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Thank you both for some excellent thoughts - I like the grey/blue combination idea and, if I didn't already have something similar would definitely be considering it. Blue & brown is an idea that I will definitely take away... I will also give Photshop a try!

Buzz - very good point re. the band. If I am still unsure then I think I will ask Christy's if they would supply both and see which I like better in person.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Black would be a good dressy choice, and somehow only same color or black would keep the Navy`s dressy look. A dark grey or silver could give it a slightly more individual look, but if it is the start of your hat collection, you cannot go wrong with the Navy or Black on a Navy felt. Enjoy!

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
pics from other threads

jlagman said:
Well it is actually factory creased and it is pretty tapered, here it is beside my Adventurer.

IMG_0151.jpg

this photo is from the following thread:
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=869437#post869437

next:

jlagman said:
My Christys' Adventurer recently arrived, here are some photos

Liner:

IMG_0131.jpg

Open:

IMG_0130.jpg

Creased:

IMG_0129.jpg

Side:

IMG_0127.jpg

Front:

IMG_0126.jpg

Initial impressions; I'm slightly unhappy, felt looks like it has imperfections, won't show up on camera but the felt looks a little spotty, like dirt or oil. The stitches holding the ribbon in place are very conspicuous. However the hat fits well on my head and I like the lining.

I don't think I'll return it to England because shipping it here was already pretty pricey, but the actual hat didn't cost me much anyways; you get what you pay for I guess. I plan on taking it to a local hatter for cleaning, hopefully it takes care of those dark blemishes, or perhaps that just how the felt is supposed to look. :eusa_doh:

Criticism is appreciated, I'm still getting used to seeing myself in a hat with a +5" crown.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=743941#post743941

anyway, i think that light gray may look sharp with a navy ribbon.

as for navy with black...the ribbon is very replaceable, so if you want to go for it- why not?

Feraud

Bartender
Anthony Jordan said:
As mentioned in the Christy's thread, I am in need of a blue hat and, being very keen on contrasting bands, but wanting something quite dressy, which I think precludes a lighter band, am considering ordering a Navy Adventurer with a black band. Before I do so, however, I wanted to seek some opinions on whether this was a good, bad or indifferent combination?

Many thanks,

Anthony.
Navy with a black band is fine.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Thanks for more helpful thoughts, suggestions and pictures (Rick - I like your hat very much!) I am now leaning towards going with the black band but having a blue on hand to change, as was suggested before - Sarah is happy to ask Christy's to supply one. I will let you all know how I go!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Anthony Jordan said:
Thanks for more helpful thoughts, suggestions and pictures (Rick - I like your hat very much!) I am now leaning towards going with the black band but having a blue on hand to change, as was suggested before - Sarah is happy to ask Christy's to supply one. I will let you all know how I go!

I don't generally like black ribbons (especially under 1") with 'colored' hats, unless the color is very light.

On the other hand, here's a blue/black combo hat that looks pretty good:

Blue Society Club fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points