Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater Hat Linings

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
Dear Loungers,

I believe there is a relatively smaller straw boater community here compared to the felt hat community but just putting it out there. I am sure that some of the loungers would have picked up a boater or boaters in good shape but with a trashed inner lining. That is certainly the case for me.

I am unable to obtain a replacement for some of the boater hats I have. Baxter, Hart & Abraham, one of the largest millinery suppliers in the UK, was unable to assist since the man who used to make them moved away! :( London's gentlemen hatters (Bate's & Lock) offer a boater lining replacement for a staggering 60-80 quid per lining (ridiculous, I could buy 3 Dunn & Co boaters with that price these days)

I am attaching some images of the boater linings and was wondering if anyone out there can make them for me? I would be a very faithful customer for the lining-maker for the years to come because I repair boater hats quite frequently.

P.S. I suppose making one is an option but how? I am unable to acquire the paper-lined satin fabric or the mesh material.... I have no idea what to order and how to stitch it?

GeMA0qv.jpg

azXqXHg.jpg

ruvort

One of the Regulars
Looking at your example again, it looks like they may have the mesh layer go in-between the other two layers. That would probably hold better as well. It's still the same basic process as my diagram though.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Thanks a lot ruvort! I will try that and post an update.
But still looking for any suppliers? I mean someone is making them till now?
Call NES Enterprises and see if they are making liners for boaters. They make liners for felt hats. Just be aware that they may not use the same kinda of fabrics, you will have to ask them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto