Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Dong advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gimli

New in Town
anyone here purchased a Bob Dong deck jacket? I’m looking at getting the one with Hood.
It might be the only way I can get a jacket with real wool lining (95%) in my budget.

Love to know how the quality/fit stands up. And a reliable/honest place to purchase from.

Thanks in advance.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I can't help, but I feel compelled to share this.
bb6e72840bd314cc11e989eb4dd9c436.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
There seems to be a bit of crossover in the Chinese work wear market - you similar designs at varying price points. I bought a Non-Stock prison stripe top and a couple of waffle fabric pullovers and they all turned out very good value for money - the prison strip is particularly good quality - though I'd size up one size if you're buying anything. Here's the shop I used on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/vtgdr
I've bought stuff direct from China, a fantastic Bronson wabash 30s denim jacket, but it's a bit of a faff and invariably ends up more expensive that you expect. The guy at this eBay shop price it so as to avoid customs charges as standard and do free postage, so I reckon you're knocking at least £20 off the price.
I wouldn't wear anything with Bob Dong on it, either. Can't help but feel it's intended as a kind of the equivalent of Joe Bloggs or something but Babelfish didn't quite do its job properly.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Either that or it's a subtle joke.... there are a lot of places in Beijing now you can buy 'Chinglish' slogan t-shits, deliberately bearing bad translations into English, like "Fallow Your Dream" [sic]. I don't think I'd go that fr myself, but I do have my eye on some of the mc sweaters. I'm very keen on the 'prison' jacket myself, but unfortunately going by their size chart on eBay I'd need at least one size up from their top size. Seems to be the same across a lot of their stuff. Hopefully they'll find there's business to be had in the West and add two or three sizes to the range. (Either that or we just need the Chinese generation ,now in their teens, that have grown up with Western junk food to really get into this stuff..... ;)

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I have said it before Dong is unfortunately the English pronunciation of 東 East, his name. Just like this Korean actor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jang_Dong-gun
I do have quite a few items from Bob, Bronson and Non-stock. Bob Dong seems to use slightly better materials. There are also other chinese workwear/vintage repro style brands out there Red Cloud, Bluecatfish, Labour Union, A.C.E. etc

Last edited:

Gimli

New in Town
There seems to be a bit of crossover in the Chinese work wear market - you similar designs at varying price points. I bought a Non-Stock prison stripe top and a couple of waffle fabric pullovers and they all turned out very good value for money - the prison strip is particularly good quality - though I'd size up one size if you're buying anything. Here's the shop I used on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/vtgdr
I've bought stuff direct from China, a fantastic Bronson wabash 30s denim jacket, but it's a bit of a faff and invariably ends up more expensive that you expect. The guy at this eBay shop price it so as to avoid customs charges as standard and do free postage, so I reckon you're knocking at least £20 off the price.
I wouldn't wear anything with Bob Dong on it, either. Can't help but feel it's intended as a kind of the equivalent of Joe Bloggs or something but Babelfish didn't quite do its job properly.

Yeah that was the seller I was looking to buy from. People keep saying to size up - even when the size is listed in inches? (36, 38 etc).

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Several people on VLJF have purchased Bob Dong deck jackets and b-10’s they consistently satisfied with the quality to cost ratio.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah that was the seller I was looking to buy from. People keep saying to size up - even when the size is listed in inches? (36, 38 etc).

Yes: I normally take a 44 in a jacket, but a Western 44 is, conventionally, 48-50" round the chest, depdning on how generous the fit (Can be 52" if designed to go over a blazer or such as an overcoat). The Size 44 jackets that seller has, he lists as measuring between 46 and 47 inches on the chest. That would be too tight on me.

Edward

Bartender
I'm interested in a very 'Big' Bob Dong MA-1 / L-2B jacket .

Their L2A is one of the jackets I'm hoping they eventually do in an XXXL (by their sizing). The MA1s look great too. Given how hard it is to find ahalf decent nylon repop - and how expensie thel ikes of the RMCs are - BD could really clean up here if they do the sizes.

Maybe all of us bigger guys should write to that eBay seller and ask? If there's any one thing the Chinese are, it's responsive to the opportunity to make money from their international markets!

Last edited by a moderator:
Their L2A is one of the jackets I'm hoping they eventually do in an XXXL (by their sizing). The MA1s look great too. Given how hard it is to find ahalf decent nylon repop - and how expensie thel ikes of the RMCs are - BD could really clean up here if they do the sizes.

Maybe all of us bigger guys should write to that eBay seller and ask? If there's any one thing the Chinese are, it's responsive to the opportunity to make money from their international markets!
I wrote him this morning to beg for a size 44" denim peacoat. He quickly and cordually responded he was unsure of the re-stock schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana