Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bobby Helmet

The D.A.

Familiar Face
I have a small collection of British police helmets, most of which I obtained from Our Favorite Auction Site. I haven't bought one for a while, but they were going for approximately $75 to $150, with some rare ones going for much more. Only one of mine has a rose top, and it's from the Metropolitan Police.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
kabuto said:
Does this sentence from the page linked to above strick anyone else as nonsensical?:

Well, it makes sense. It's just hard to follow. There would have been an easier way to say it.

D.A., you say you got your collection from an auction site? Last time I checked the helmets were available, but the badges, and other "furniture" weren't due to the regulation of the auction site. (Maybe I should check again?)

The D.A.

Familiar Face
There are a couple of helmets on Ebay right now, including a Metropolitan Police rose top one. The helmets that you'll find on the site aren't current issue and are sold as "vintage" or "antiques," which is apparently good enough to satisfy the rules of the auction site. A few years ago British police forces replaced their helmets with ones that are more shock resistant, but the older ones look just like the new ones.

The D.A.

Familiar Face
Lone Ranger, I just did some more checking on Ebay and found quite a few helmets, all with their original badges. I think you're in luck, as it looks like someone is selling-off their collection. Search for "bobby helmet" or "British police helmet."

FourKingTwenty

New in Town
Ask the British police.

I have five. Two are comb top (Kent and West Yorkshire) and three are rose top (Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, and Sussex), plus several peaked caps and WPC bowlers.

I started the collection about 10 years ago when I was in high school. I simply wrote letters addressed to the various police forces in Great Britain with a "Dear Sir or Madam" salutation. In the letters, I requested information about the force and explained that I was interested in collecting patches, caps, cap badges, helmets, and helmet crests. I also stated that I would be willing to pay for the items plus any packing and shipping costs.

In many cases, my letters were answered by constables from the force's public relations office and included only printed material. In some cases, my letters were forwarded to a constable in the force's supply unit. In other cases, my letter was forwarded to constables who were involved in collecting and willing to sell a surplus helmet. I think a few forces actually sold surplus helmets and donated the proceeds to a charitable fund for injured officers.

Since then, with 9/11 and 7/7, most forces have adopted a strict policy of not giving or selling uniform items. It has made collecting more difficult, especially for people outside of law enforcement. However, you may be able to find one through a British police constable. I'm pretty sure you could convince a constable that you're not going to use the helmet to rob a Securitas depot.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
I have two, both rose top, one with badge and one without. I got them years ago from retiring police officers.

I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to get one now but eBay is always a good bet. Presumably there must be military/police attire dealers on both sides of the Atlantic that can provide them (at a price...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points