Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogey's hat a Resistol in "The Maltese Falcon"?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I know Humphrey Bogart's hat brand has been discussed often, but I do not think this little bit of info has been mentioned.

I has re-watching The Maltese Falcon and there are a couple of scenes where Bogey's hat liner can be briefly seen; I found this is more evident in the scene where Sam Spade is at the prosecutor's office. I froze the frames and you can discern a shield logo, with a marked triangular shape, on the liner. This could well be Resistol's logo. Having in account there are contemporary Resistol advertisements linking Bogart with this firm's hats, I believe this is a strong possibility.

I do not know how to capture the image. If any of you with better computer abilities than me can do it, that particular frame is at 54:13 in my recording, for your reference.

Regards!

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
If you play the DVD with the VLC media player, you can easily take a screenie by selecting "screenshot" from one of the top menus. There must be similar options in other media players as well.

donCarlos

Practically Family
This is the best screenshot I managed to capture.

bsplayer2008-12-2609-10-38-81.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, Wolfwood.

Here you are...

The original screenshot:

vlcsnap-80294.png

A cropped image:

MalteseFalcon.png

A pic of my own Resistol fedora's liner for comparison:

DSC_0141.jpg

Now that I see the images side by side, the logo in the screenshot seems to be more strongly triangular than the one in my hat's photo. Anyway, maybe other loungers would advance opinions or suggest other possible hat manufacturers whose logos could correspond to the one visible?

Regards!

Edited: On posting the above, I see DonCarlos has beaten me to it! Thanks DonC.!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points