Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bomb Girls

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
Just got word that a 6-part series about Canadian women munitions factory workers during WWII called "Bomb Girls" is slated to drop on January 4th.
small.bomb-girls-0008.jpg
Bomb_Girls_from_left_Gladys_Betty_Edith_Kate__Marc  o2.jpg

Stylistically, some of the the costume stills (like the second image) suggest a rather candy-coloured slick aesthetic reminiscent of Christina Aguilera's "Candy Man" video, but the first promo image above seems more subdued. Anyway, have a peek at the trailer for more (feels like a wartime version of Pan Am??)

[video=youtube_share;EM2h8UrEodc]http://youtu.be/EM2h8UrEodc.[/video]

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
Compare with an original

VeronicaFoster-RonnieBrenGunGirl-smoke.jpg

Veronica Foster, an employee of John Inglis Co. Ltd. and known as "Ronnie, the Bren Gun Girl" posing with a finished Bren gun in the John Inglis Co. Ltd. Bren gun plant, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
This photo is an excellent example of official government coverage of workers at home during the Second World War. First produced in 1937, the Bren Gun became of the most widely used machine guns of its kind and was a staple for line troops during the Second World War
Veronica Foster is depicted here as in other photos posing in a provocative manner, caressing the Bren gun while exhaling cigarette smoke.

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
Finally saw the first episode of Bomb Girls. Yikes! I liked the costumes and hair (most of it looked like real vintage--though I agreed with one blogger who posted about how in one scene the contrast stockings seemed wrong and like modern "stay-ups" from La Senza or something). I HATED the way that the men were represented as all being leering, jeering, sneering apes. Gross historical generalizing here, but, from the historical research and academic coursework in gender studies I've done, it seems that, unlike in the 1950s and 60s post-war backlash periods, when there was a more palpable cultural push to get women back to the domestic sphere to make room in the work force for returning soldiers, the wartime period was NOT a time when women in the workforce was denigrated to the extent that this show suggests. On the contrary, it was a time when women's work was generally glamourized and encouraged in the name of patriotism. Examples from (albeit American) sources http://www.nwhm.org/online-exhibits/partners/2.htm. Next, some Canadian materials: http://archives.cbc.ca/war_conflict/second_world_war/topics/855/ . Case in point: IMHO, so far, Bomb Girls gets a big Fail for its poor imposition of a really crude form of man-bashing masquerading as some sort of feminist women's history.

Last edited:

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
This looks good but I'm in the US...any links to it online? *crosses fingers*

On the contrary, it was a time when women's work was generally glamourized and encouraged in the name of patriotism. Examples from (albeit American) sources http://www.nwhm.org/online-exhibits/partners/2.htm.

This statement is very true. I don't have the book here, it's at my folks', but I have a "scrapbook" (it was a mass produced book) of UK WWII history and in it is a women's forces recruiting poster that was changed because the original depicted a provocative blonde bombshell that people felt made war and being in uniform look too glamourous.

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
After reading this thread I feel silly for liking it :eusa_doh:
The acting leaves a little to be desired - especially when it comes to Gladys - but I do like the other characters. From what I gather, the show is set early on in the war, before Pearl Harbor, so maybe that accounts for some of the attitudes. Perhaps people thought it was more temporary and as such didn't want women to get more comfortable? I don't know.

I blogged a full review here. I must say that I love that they are using Canadian music - Jill Barber and Alex Pangman - as well as actors.

DNO

One Too Many
No need to feel silly Miss Laurie...we all like different things for different reasons. If we all liked the same things, the world would be one boring place. If you like it, watch it and enjoy.

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
I agree with DNO...I don't think it's silly to like it. I think you can still like something and be critically engaged with it. I'm just finding myself unsure as to whether some of the details (i.e. this really over-emphasized male antagonism) is historically accurate. I believe we discover that the show is set before American involvement (one American visitor to the factory tells one of the gals that he doesn't think the US will ever get involved). Given the references to the Italian internment, etc, it's 1941?

Anyway, I agree: it's great there are Canadian artists and actors on board!!!

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I take mostly everything I watch on TV with a grain of salt - Bomb Girls is probably as accurate as Gossip Girl, but I certainly prefer Bomb Girls since it's my style and music - they're certainly amping up the conflict between characters, especially since they aren't showing any battle. I think it's refreshing to see a TV show about the women at home instead of another soldier in the trenches.

BTW, MissLaurieMarie, I was born and raised in Edmonton, Alberta. SO great to see a fellow Alberta Wild Rose vintage lover on FL! Love your blog!
Thanks! I'm originally from Saskatchewan, but certainly enjoying my time being one of the lemmings that flocked to Alberta :D I love your blog too - I wish I was in TO to join you for your tea.

ANYWAY, back on topic - I think now that it's in its 3rd episode it's getting a little better, at least in terms of acting. I just want more Betty! I love her :)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's interesting for its historical inaccuracies as much as it is for its quirky acting... but I have to say, when there are shows with vintage on the air, there are shows I want to watch on the air.

The one critical thing I have to say about Bomb Girls is that finally, there are on screen, some male roll models to which children can look up.

Davep

One of the Regulars
In the US its not available as yet. But if you have a itunes account, you can get the episodes for 3.00 us. Note it is sold on the itunes - canada store, so on itunes it redirects you to the itunes canada store

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/tv-season/jumping-tracks/id493342022?i=493620436&ign-mpt=uo=5

As far as any wartime drama, give it a change and form your own opinions.

Here is a 14 minute clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VGI8iPXLYXw#!
[video=youtube;VGI8iPXLYXw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VGI8iPXLYXw#![/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points