Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books for housewives/homemakers

Heather

Practically Family
Does anyone know of any books that were written (and are still available) for housewives/homemakers of the 1940's or 1950's? The rules, what was expected of them, housekeeping tips, etc.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
While there are a ton of books that you have to hunt for in used shops......

I favor these two that you can get in reprint.

http://www.amazon.com/Decorating-Fu...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292195991&sr=1-4

This is a book about how to have a good time decorating. - Dorothy Draper After being out of print for more than sixty years, Decorating Is Fun! is finally being reissued with its original illustrations. Amazingly, the book which was originally published in 1939 on the eve of World War II, is still practical, amusing, and inspirational. Draper's earnest enthusiasm feels fresh and contemporary. She believed that though there were troubles in the world, one's home should be a refuge, a cheerful place for entertaining one's friends and a colourful and comfortable shelter from the storm. Decorating Is Fun! is also a serious book about decorating that does not take itself too seriously.

and

http://www.amazon.com/Entertaining-Fun-How-Popular-Hostess/dp/0847826198/ref=pd_sim_b_1

The timeless and collectible classic on entertaining-at last back in print!
Dorothy Draper (1889-1969), like her contemporaries Diana Vreeland and Elsie de Wolfe, became an icon of stylish living through her interior decorating and many books.
Originally published in 1941, Entertaining Is Fun! is one of Draper's most delightful creations, hailed in the original flap copy of the book as "neither a cookbook nor a book of etiquette, but a vivacious and inspiring book on home entertaining." With its charming retro package, this book teaches you how to host the most fabulous dinner parties, holiday meals, and weddings, and also makes a great gift!

I love love love these two books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points