Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boonies and Buckets...and Cloches

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
Who else here is a fan of boonies and/or bucket hats?
I was first introduced to the boonie hat just a few short years ago when my Uncle Sam issue them to me. I currently own 4 boonies. The two I got in the Army and two that I bought in the civilian world.
What's my fascination (or obsession even?) with these hot weather hats? Well, while not as stylish as a fedora or quite as breathable as an open weave straw or sun helmet, they seem to be the perfect compromise on all fronts--well, except they aren't very dressy. I can't find anything wrong with them! They're the ultimate in being crushable/packable, they're soft and comfortable, they breathe well, they have a chin strap for the wind, they're easily washed, and they have foliage loops which may or may not get used depending on your application (but it makes a great hunting hat too).

They're soft and floppy and the brim isn't nice straight, but they're designed that way for camouflage purposes. Bucket hats--as far as I've seen--have a bit cleaner shape to them.

Whenever I pack to go ANYWHERE, I toss a boonie in the bottom of my bag.

Enough from me. Let's hear from you. Are there any other fans of boonies, buckets, or cloches?

My gub'ment issue
2f5713694ce74ef25195a8d42c85b444.jpg

White. Usually sees service at the pool or the beach more than anywhere else
b322e963c3c0e7df683e390d68d8024c.jpg

My all time favorite (at this time). Tru-Spec brand Khaki with a map pocket
683bfd648f2a04aefd8da9d77a7aae24.jpg
b810d71e9afea8209a160a3a617cce9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HanauMan

Practically Family
I'm a fan of these types of hats. I have one in khaki which is worn on my hiking trips when I'm on vacation. They're good for keeping the sun or light rain /snow off my head and the chin strap is great for keeping the hat secure when its windy. When not in use it can just be rolled up and put into my backpack.

This is me hiking along Hadrian's Wall, the Roman frontier between them and the barbarians further north.

View media item 1494

Last edited:

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
I'm a fan of these types of hats. I have one in khaki which is worn on my hiking trips when I'm on vacation. They're good for keeping the sun or light rain /snow off my head and the chin strap is great for keeping the hat secure when its windy. When not in use it can just be rolled up and put into my backpack.

This is me hiking along Hadrian's Wall, the Roman frontier between them and the barbarians further north.

View media item 1494

I'm not sure if it's because I'm using Tapatalk, but I can't see your photos. It only shows a link to a gallery.

HanauMan

Practically Family
I'm not sure if it's because I'm using Tapatalk, but I can't see your photos. It only shows a link to a gallery.

No idea what Tapatalk is (I belong a noble, and diminishing, group of modern men who don't have a cellphone!) but all the photos I use here on the forum come from my Fedora Lounge media Albums. Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I've owned a few boonies over thed years, still haved them somewhere, though I doubt I'll wear them again. They were the first hats I started to wear regularly in the Summer, though, when I began to feel the benefit of keeping the Sun off that way. If memory serves, I bought my first in 2000 in an army surplus store in Warsaw Central Train Station - a shop called "Rambo Demobil".

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
I should probably add that I wear the above listed hats when I am doing either yard work or other out of doors chores. In point of fact this is the one that I bought.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ghKMAs&usg=AFQjCNFPOQpzPLkKihVv4qtKnATR3a4dYA

I like it, but I think technically that's not a boonie. That's a Safari or Tilley style.

I really like the neck flap (not sure what the proper name for that piece is yet). That's really nice in the hot sun.
If your 2 Tru-Specs are like the one I posted in the OP, I have no doubt you can tell a good boonie from a mediocre one.

I take mine almost everywhere "just in case". Today, I'm packing it along in the jeep.
01cdb3f631fd1991cb36eef274ae123e.jpg

Last edited:

DesertDan

One Too Many
I have a few boonie hats I wear when I'm working in the yard. I bought my first Tilly this year, I really like it, it has become a regular daily hat this summer. I'll go back to my fedoras once the weather cools off a bit.

Willebe

A-List Customer
I have two boonie hats. One in woodland camouflage and the other in desert camo. Both are great hats and served me well through my military days. I have gifted them to my son, so I reach for the Tilley for rough and ready head gear.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I generally only wear hats to prevent skin cancer and to protect me from cold. It's great to have a Tilley hat or bucket stuffed in a bag in case it gets to 112 degrees down here - which unfortunately happens most summers. They are survival items. But I don't really like the Tilley hat design although I think the T3 is passable. They are a bit charmless, especially once they are made from synthetics and have vents. For me they are practical but artless, like most bland packer's gear. And they rarely suit their wearers, me included. Anyway, they are necessary in this climate.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
How accurate is the sizing on Tru-Spec's hats? I'm considering one of their Military Boonies (A-TACS FG) and was wondering if I should order my size, or...?
I actually did a lengthy and detailed review of the Tru-Spec boonies on Amazon (back in 2015--so you'll have to scroll a few pages to find it). The review was an A/B comparison between the Tru-Spec and my GI boonie that was issued to me in the Army. The review is under the screen name "totallyfrozen".

I found the sizing on the Tru-Spec to be accurate for how these hats are supposed to fit on a head your size. In other words, my 7-1/4 Tru-Spec fits exactly like my 7-1/4 GI boonie. Of course, what that really means is this...
Boonie hats are supposed to have a slightly looser fit. My GI patrol caps and my beret fit slightly more snug than my boonie. So I think the way they sized them and marked them is for proper fit. All that to say that I think the sizes are designed to fit slightly looser than their number indicates. As it says on the label "initial loose fit required for continued comfort" (or something to that effect). Some people make the mistake of thinking they need to buy a size larger than normal. I've found that you don't. They're made to fit loose enough if you buy your proper hat size.

One caveat: the hat sizing/fit is based on the military fit which, of course, is designed based on the wearer having very short hair. If you have long hair, a top knot (aka "man bun"), pony tail, etc. you'll need to get a larger size than the listed size.

Last edited:

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
I generally only wear hats to prevent skin cancer and to protect me from cold. It's great to have a Tilley hat or bucket stuffed in a bag in case it gets to 112 degrees down here - which unfortunately happens most summers. They are survival items. But I don't really like the Tilley hat design although I think the T3 is passable. They are a bit charmless, especially once they are made from synthetics and have vents. For me they are practical but artless, like most bland packer's gear. And they rarely suit their wearers, me included. Anyway, they are necessary in this climate.
So are you saying you prefer a bucket or boonie to a Tilley?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112