Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boot oil

tmal

One of the Regulars
I could not find a thread for this so I started one. I recently purchased a pair of Ariat pullon workboots. I would like to soften the leather to stretch to fit better. I assume that we all know about Ariat sizes. These are 9.2 D and need to be just a little bit wider. It will happen in time but I'd like to speed it up. Some leather care and some mild waterproofing would be good too. I'v thought about mink oil, but I don't want the shine mink oil gives. Any suggestions?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Obenauf's Leather Oil as a premium, or even Lexol Leather Conditioner. You can find the latter everywhere and is relatively economical in the leather care game. I'd avoid Mink and Neatsfoot.

tmal

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I planned to avoid Mink oil and Neetsfoot, nice to see I was right.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
If you’re wanting to stretch them, don’t use oil. Mix 50/50 91% alcohol and water. Spray it on and rub it in with your fingers. Then wear them. Or use shoe trees with an extra insole or two in the boot to stretch them. A few treatments like this and they will be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robrinay

One Too Many
As above with alcohol and water and buy a shoe stretcher. Wind up the outward pressure very gradually over a few hours. Ive used cheap vodka with great results - just pour a few shots into the boot, swirl to soak the leather in the area you want to stretch and insert and tighten the stretcher gradually to the right size and leave the boot in a well ventilated place to dry. Repeat on the second boot once the first boot has dried.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
As above with alcohol and water and buy a shoe stretcher. Wind up the outward pressure very gradually over a few hours. Ive used cheap vodka with great results - just pour a few shots into the boot, swirl to soak the leather in the area you want to stretch and insert and tighten the stretcher gradually to the right size and leave the boot in a well ventilated place to dry. Repeat on the second boot once the first boot has dried.

Vodka martini. Shaken, not stirred...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko