Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Anniversary substitute?

cpac

New in Town
Hello all:

New to fedoras generally and haven't yet purchased one for wear. While at JJ Hat Center here in NYC today I tried on a good number and really like the Borsalino Anniversary model (both the brim and crown sizes were good for me, and that it was crushable but still with a leather sweatband made it particularly attractive).

But $500 is a LOT to spend.

So I'm hoping some of the experts here can recommend something with similar size and shape, but without the extra cost of being an anniversary special addition.

Thanks

-cpac

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
If you are talking about the Borsalino Virgilio , I wouldn't buy it. We were offered the hat, but for the extra money, it wasnt worth it . We have a Como by Borsalino for 210.00 that is just as nice as well as quite a few other hats in stock by Borsalino that are sharp looking. I'm sure that JJ's could have shown you a Biltmore for half the price that was just as good as well.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

cpac

New in Town
Thank you both for the recommendations. I was indeed talking about the Borsalino Virgilio. Any ideas of whether the Como, or one from Art would have similar characteristics in terms of (for lack of a better word) "shapability?" Would it need to be unlined for that to work?

(sorry for all the questions)

Thanks

-cpac

MattC

A-List Customer
Talk to Art

Art has a lightweight felt and a heavy weight. He can make you a hat "open crown" which lets you shape it yourself. In my experience, the shape on Art's hats can easily be changed, just using your fingers (no steam).

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Order Large

Qwkslvr said:
I've wanted a 'como' for a while now. Finally ordered one today.
Be sure to order Large as they tend to run small.
I wear a 61 in most hats, but a Como 62 is snug.
PS They are Great Hats....

duggap

Banned
Qwkslvr said:
I've wanted a 'como' for a while now. Finally ordered one today.
I own a Como and I think it is a pretty good hat. The felt is real thin and it takes a crease real well, even without steam. I will say, however, that I have gotten use to wearing the hats that Art makes and they are generally a higher crown with less, if any, taper. After I got used to Art's hats it makes the Como look a tad off somehow. But, I still wear my Como on a regular basis and like it.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought a Como from Besdor for a friend and I though it was a pretty nice hat for the money. It was much better than I expected. My friend was thrilled.

NonEntity

Suspended
While most new Borsa's are not a good value, for $210 at Bencrafthats.com, I could without reservation recommend the Como, Borsalino's signature 2 1/2-inch brim fedora made of a blend of beaver and rabbit fur. Here's the link: http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=245&subcname=Borsalino. They also make the Como II that has a 3-inch brim but is otherwise the same.

Hartford York is selling the Como for a ridiculously high $395 ($425 for larger sizes) and a local hatter has it priced at $310. For that, you could buy an even better, custom made hat from Art Fawcett.

Steven, I'm interested myself in the Como in taupe, dark gray, or steel gray, but the pics on your site don't really display the colors too well, and I have not found a Como locally in any of those colors for an up close and personal view. At $210, I'd definitely buy the hat from you, but do you or anyone else here know of another site where I can view better pics to make my decision?

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I love the Como. I tried them on at JJ's in Manhattan. Soft soft soft... pliable, great colors, nice ribbon and stitching work, supple leather sweatband.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We are working on updating the website where it will show all of the colors for each hat. A lot of work but judging from all of the emails and requests, well worth it.
Stay tuned!!!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21