Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino: liner or not

Altiori

One of the Regulars
greetings.

You all have been most helpful in my hat obsession. The various posts on Borsalino dating and materials are both interesting and intriguing. Indeed, the hat pictured was my first foray into better quality hats and various loungers have helped me better identify it. I have a few more questions and welcome your expertise accordingly:

A. Why is the hat unlined? I purchased it in Vienna, Austria from Oberwalder. It dates as far as we know from 1985;

B. What is the name of the hat style? It is imprinted Qualitative Superiore, 1857, Allesandra but other than the Code 110756 and the Collection 0721 I am either
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
too stupid or just have not found the correct link to identify the hat by name.

C. In general, are European hats unlined and US hats lined? What would be the history or reasons for doing so?

Always a pleasure and thank you for your patience and expertise,

Joe

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
A. "Crushable" Borsalinos typically are unlined.
B. Several Borsalino retailers have assured me that Borsalino does not assign names to their hats but only numbers. Borsalino's own website does not assign any names to their various hats that are shown there. Various Borsalino models have come to be commonly known by the names that some retailers chose to call them. Two particularly popular examples would be "Allesandria" and "Como".
C. "Crushable" hats are usually unlined, and often do not have leather sweatbands. Lightweight hats or hats intended to be worn in warmer weather have been, and still are sold without liners. Cheaper hats, particularly contemporary wool ones, are also usually unlined, and do not have leather sweatbands.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJR
Hats have been marketed with liners and without liners for a century or more. The presence or absence of a liner is not a factor in making the hat easier to roll for packing. The sweatband material and construction is a much more important factor.

The Borsalino boxed packaging shown above was developed during the post War era to encourage purchases by tourists traveling in Italy. These hats were rolled for transport. They were not intended to be rerolled once arriving at their final destination. This is well documented in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread. An exception to this was the Borsalino Pocket hat, which had a grosgrain sweatband for easy rolling. It also had a liner.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
The Borsalino "crushable" (often currently referred to as "rainproof") hats that I have handled, as well as their caps and berets, all have very thin leather sweatbands, in comparison with the considerably more substantial ones in their "standard" hats, and are unlined, as well.

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Thank you all very much; I am assuming my hat is "crushable" although I have never tested it. It cost me too much when I first purchased it.
All the best,
Joe

I purchased a similar modern Borsalino some years back. You can probably roll this, but in the long run, it will not make you a happy camper to do so. I would suggest buying a cap or two from our brilliant Fedora Lounge cap makers. You can pack the cap and wear the Fedora when you travel. You and the fedora will both be happier for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana