Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought a new Wested for the fun of it, thought I would share!

Bogie1943

Practically Family
This takes me back to the old days at COW, my gosh, well here are some pics of my new Wested. It's the Authentic Lamskin with all the perks. This is my next to last Indy Jacket I plan on buying, I want a lambskin from FS and then I think I will call it quits, four jackets may be enough. This is a size 38R, if anyone has a size 38 or 40 FS lamb and wanting to sell let me know.

Cienfuegos

New in Town
Congratulations my friend!!

Take her with health
You there is heco a good buy. I possess a Raiders GOAT, and the truth I am very satisfied with her.:)

Regards;)

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Thanks Matt, yes, indeed, I need to distress it, I have thought about it. It's just hard when they are new, ya want to baby them, but after a while that wears off. If and when I do distress the jacket, I am going to be much more gentle than I was with my old Wested cowhide. Cienfuegos, thank you also for the kind words. Yes I love my goat skin jacket as well.

Chamorro

A-List Customer
FYI. I just talked to the people over at FS and the wait is now into late January of 2005 for a new Expo.

Their customer service sucks now too. They used to be the best in the business but ever since Dave left that's all shot to hell.

My advice is to buy now if your going to buy and buy the ready-made old showroom stock.

It can't be too long before quality suffers too under their new Reich.

Cienfuegos

New in Town
How is at present the service that FS gives?
I don't Know. Only I that does aprximadamente one year bought an A2 of them, and the service and the quality were very good.
The truth is that I cannot complain, So much with FS, Eastman and Wested I have had very good experiences.

Regards

Strider

One of the Regulars
Wow, that cowhide Wested looks gorgeous. Pure Indy, man. Did you distress it yourself, or is that distress from natural wear and tear?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
RE: ageing leather jackets...

Hey Bogie- when the time comes and you want to "age" your next jacket try the "hot water technique", this is a technique which has been used by many of the members of the Vintage Flight Jacket forums to age repro flight jackets-
It envolves applying hot or even boiling water to areas of the leather and then scrunching, wringing, abrading, jumpin-up-and-down-on, etc. of the jacket to relax the hardness of the finish and hide and give some fatigue, character and
wrinkling to the leather- the achieved effect mimicking years of naturalwear.
It can be an on-going work- see how you go- cautiously at first and then more daring- try a small part first- then a bit more. You can get good wrinkling at the inside of the elbows by saturating with hot water and then flexing your arms a lot.
But you should be cautious at first- it's difficult to predict how the particular hide will react due to hide weight and finish . Most of the ageing that has been done is on horsehide, which is pretty robust and achieves great looking character and natural looking grain on a nice A-2 repro.
Sandpapering and other similar "ageing" techniques don't have a patch on the technique mentioned, although a combination of both is better than just removing the finish to acieve the effect.
If you want more information, I can direct you to some images.
BT.

schwammy

Familiar Face
Not to curb your enthusiasm, but as an authentic lamb owner, I would dissuade anyone from intentionally distressing this leather. Normal wear will take care of that in short order. I have had mine for about a year now and it looks much older, simply from everyday wear. The edges of the cuffs, in particular, are in danger of getting worn through, merely from daily contact with the wrist rest on my keyboard. This is not your father's Wested lamb. This stuff ages like dog years - for every year you own it, it ages seven years. Artificially aging it would only accelerate the arrival of the day when you will need to order a replacement jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider