Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOWTIES! Vintage and Recent; Wool Challis, silk, Turnbull & Asser, Yale, Brooks bros. formal, more!

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
A BUNCH OF BOWS!

In addition to the vintage wool challis bowtie I have already posted, I have these beauties!

As always, all prices include shipping in the USA, and all offers are very welcome, especially on two or more bows!

All bows are in excellent condition unless otherwise noted.

1) Turnbull & Asser bowtie... in either Princeton orange or the orange of Mr. Jefferson's University!
1f609.png
Absolutely gorgeous, and in as-new condition! All silk, and handmade in England. Asking just $25, or offer, shipped in the USA.

2) Yale Bulldog bowtie! Adjustable, all-silk, Made in the USA. In excellent condition! Just $18, shipped in the USA.

3) Land's End neats. Silk, adjustable. $14.

4) Dark red with geometric patterns. Adjustable. Silk; hand-sewn. Perfect for tweed! $15.

5) Brooks Brothers Makers; a recent tie. Silk; hand-sewn in the USA. Cufflink pattern! $15.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
6) Thomas Pink of Jermyn Street, London. Sunshine yellow. All silk. Adjustable.

7) Vintage Brooks Brothers formal black bow tie. Adjustable, all silk. Beautiful! $17.

8) Vintage dark red wool bow with neats patterning. Adjustable. Very Good condition. Perfect for tweed! $14.

9) Sky blue polyester bowtie. Adjustable, vintage. $8.

10) Dove grey vintage bowtie. Likely silk. Adjustable. $10.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab

11) BEAUTIFUL Vintage Wool Challis Bowtie.

Hand-blocked in England!

The name of wool "challis" is derived from the Hindko term for an especially esteemed variety of soft rice "shallee bara" grown only in the Western Punjab and refers to the lightness and softness of the cloth.

The cloth was especially well suited to be printed with the small multicolored Asian patterns that appeared on the cashmere shawls imported into England from India in the C19th; this pattern was reproduced by the mills in Paisley, Scotland, and from this came to be known as paisley.

Paisley wool challis is thus a lovely example of the intermixing of cultures, with Scots wool mills interacting with Indian techniques and the resulting product--Paisley wool challis--carrying in its name the echoes of Empire!

The printing of this pattern was traditionally done by hand; blocks of wood about 10" square were carved with a design and covered in dye, and then the design was printed onto the cloth by pounding these blocks onto it with a mallet. Since only one color could be used per block this technique had to be repeated for each colour in the pattern--a laborious process that has now been superseded by the use of larger screens instead of small wooden blocks, although the process is stil done by hand.

This vintage bowtie is a lovely example of hand-blocked wool challis being used for clothing where lightweight wool challis is ideal. Adjustable, this is in excellent vinatge condition, with just one tiny pinhole on the reverse.

And at just $16, shipped in the USA, this is an extraordinarily inexpensive way to wear a classic item of clothing whose origins lie in the multicultural mixings of the British Empire!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran