Braces/Suspenders Question

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by volvomeister13, May 30, 2015.

1. volvomeister13

volvomeister13 One of the Regulars

I need to pick up a pair of suspenders, but I've always seen too different types. There's the sort with two leather straps at each end that form a sort of Y shape, like so: http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/m...f78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/r/br734l.jpg

Then there are the ones with a single leather strap on each end forming a U shape thus: http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/m...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/r/braces_012.jpg

I haven't owned suspenders since I was in junior high and much less educated about these things. I feel like I've seen both types more or less interchangeably used, but is there any sort of etiquette rule regarding these? Is either the Y or U type ever inappropriate to certain types of clothing? Is there a mechanical or practical advantage to one or the other?

I prefer the look of the Y ones, but I'm just curious.

2. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've never heard of any one style being more formal than the other, or intended for specific uses. Bearing in mind that braces are not going to be much seen if you're wearing a jacket...

3. Dreamofgilgamesh

Dreamofgilgamesh A-List Customer

May i be so bold as to suggest that you browse the excellent selection of braces by Albert Thurston. A tad more expensive it's true but they are worth it.

4. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

The Darcy braces are fine. The Y construction is typical of workwear, the slightly more complicated and expensive U construction is typically worn with suits. However, in practice it really makes no difference. Just choose whatever colors and materials you like. Any type is fine for wear with suits, although my gut feeling tells me that the U type braces ends wouldn't make a thoroughly convincing workwear outfit. But this is almost certainly splitting hairs.
    Besides, for some reason the Y type or something similar to it is often seen on braided leather suspenders; those were pretty expensive and worn with suits in the 1930s-40s.

You can shorten these Darcy braces by cutting them and sewing them again at the looped section behind the snap closure. Just sew them well, it doesn't have to be pretty since no one will see that section, not even you. It'll make these inexpensive braces perfect for your height, and the snap closure won't end up on your upper chest.

5. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

S'long as they stop you from looking like a West Coast rapper, I reckon they're all good.

6. Sir RBH

Sir RBH A-List Customer

I wear Thurston braces just about every day.. I certainly have many many pairs!! boxcloth braces.jpg

7. Mathematicus

Mathematicus A-List Customer

There are also different back shapes. I think the most interesting is the "V shaped" one:
    BracesII.jpg
    I think that with this configuration it would be easier to wear high(er than today) waisted trousers, especially the ones having "high back", without having the two straps pulling at the base of neck if the back strap is too long.
    However, I was not lucky enough to find a pair of them around!

8. Sir RBH

Sir RBH A-List Customer

I think i have some blowback braces that i will be selling in my store soon...