Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bradley Whitford's Fedora at the Emmys

javadave61

Practically Family
Did anyone notice Bradley Whitford's fedora as he presented at the Emmys last night? (see first photo). Evidently, he's been sporting the fedora lately in preparation for an HBO film, All the Way, where Brian Cranston plays LBJ and Whitford plays VP Hubert Humphrey. Not sure if he'll be sporting a fedora in the film? Evidently, they've been thinning out his hair for the role, and he decided to cover it up for the Emmy presentation. So maybe the fedora is just to tide him over while he's making the film. Anyway, wonder how much we'll see the ole LBJ Open Road in action?

1442799747_bradley-whitford-allison-janney-lg.jpg 150920-news-bradley-whitford-hp-lg.jpg bradley-whitford-2015-creative-arts-emmy-awards-press-room-01.jpg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Boy those hats do nothing for him. The peak crown makes him look really bad. An the brim on that straw looks like the hat had been sat on in the car. While is good to see people wearing hats at events. Which they would at least consult with a good hatter to pick out a hat style that complements their head shape.

javadave61

Practically Family
When he came out on stage wearing a wide brim fedora, I had very mixed feelings. First, I was glad to see someone wearing something other than a hipster hat. But then, he looked so awkward in it. He was graded pretty low for the choice by all the fashionistas out there. I thought to myself, if I had his money, I'd never buy any hat off the shelf ever again, and I'd have a professional hatter personally get me in exactly the right hat before standing on a national stage.

Luis

One of the Regulars
Not sure when it will, but I do hope the "hipster hat" goes away soon. I also agree I would get professionally fitted for a hat, they get all their suits fitted, why not the hat. Maybe it will take a younger celeb wearing the real deal to get others wearing it.

If you'll excuse the "quick and sloppy" Photoshop work, I do think he'd look better in a hat with a more straight-sided crown:

Bradley_Whitford_zpsw57vmc8g.jpg

I don't think the hat he wore looked horrible, I just think a less tapered crown suits the shape of his face better.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
If you'll excuse the "quick and sloppy" Photoshop work, I do think he'd look better in a hat with a more straight-sided crown:

Bradley_Whitford_zpsw57vmc8g.jpg

I don't think the hat he wore looked horrible, I just think a less tapered crown suits the shape of his face better.

That's a very important improvement, I think. The original picture has him wearing a hat with too much taper, while the second one has the more straight-sided crown I prefer. Did you also raise the crown height a little bit, or did the lack of taper give the perception?

That's a very important improvement, I think. The original picture has him wearing a hat with too much taper, while the second one has the more straight-sided crown I prefer. Did you also raise the crown height a little bit, or did the lack of taper give the perception?
I prefer straight-sided crowns myself, so I wasn't really sure if it looked better because it actually looked better, or if my personal preferences informed my opinion. The crown height at the pinch did get raised slightly, but that seems to have happened inadvertently when I was re-shaping the crown. To be honest, I hadn't even noticed it until you mentioned it, but I think it helps to improve the overall look.

Last edited:

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Nicely done, Zombie. The straight sides look much better on him. It adds visual interest and reflects his strong jaw line about the balance point at the bridge of his glasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ