Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brand new Higwayman in Brown Steer

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Ok folks I have to be honest here. I feel like a kid at Christmas in August. I have tried Highwayman's on, hemmed and hawed, tried and tried but could never get one to "fit" me correctly. I did not want a "cafe racer" fit, nor did I want a large leather bag fit, rather just enough room to breath, wear a good wool shirt underneath, be comfortable yet well fitted. And it had to be brown.

I had seriously thought about ordering a custom Zip-sleeve from Aero, but seemed to get lost in the options. I need at least 26.5" long sleeves for this type of jacket. I love Horsehide, but for this jacket I wanted to return to my CXL Steerhide roots. I spent quite a bit of time mulling over Aero's sale pages over their sale weekend. Finally I decided all the sleeves, as well as the Torso lengths, were simply too short on any remaining stock in my size range. All had simply too many compromises.

Then I found this one in Thruston Brother's Featured stock page. Shameless plug - Carrie really knows her stuff! I visited their store in 2014 & 2015, so she has a little more knowledge of my shape & size than most. I placed the order and this arrived yesterday:

DSC_0781.JPG

This is a Size 40, with 26.75" sleeves. It was made by:
DSC_0785.JPG

It features Nickle hardware (Talon) and Edinburgh lightweight tartan wool lining. This is also my first exposure to the Sateen Cotton for the sleeve linings and I really love it. Should make donning with a long-sleeve Cotton or wool shirt a breeze come cooler weather.

Now the Highwayman, in stock form can indeed be a bit challenging to fit correctly. In fact, when I tried this jacket on right out of the box, it was rather baggy. Then I remembered the waist adjuster straps. I took each side in about 1.25" as shown below:

DSC_0789.JPG

That did the trick! The fit transformed right into what I prefer it to be.

DSC_0777.JPG

DSC_0775.JPG

In addition, this Steerhide is already showing signs of break-in, with about 40 minutes of wearing so far. I am happy with the weight, right at 8.0 lbs, so substantial but not over the top.

DSC_0787.JPG DSC_0797.JPG

For anyone on the fence about one of these, I say look into it. But consider going to a men's suit shop and get measured out first. E-mail Carrie and ask about a fit jacket, and give her your basic dimensions as she is very helpful about fit and preferences.

Now the fun begins, getting to know this new family member, and starting the break-in process. Show us your Highwaymen here at all stages of the life-cycle! Have a great week and thanks for reading along! :)

DSC_0795.JPG DSC_0796.JPG

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Highwayman is the workhorse of the Aero stable (bad pun NOT intended!). It's just THE basic straight zip style and yet can be so hard to get the size right. You got the size spot-on. Love the tartan and the rich colour of the steerhide! Out hemispheres are about to swap weather and I know you're gonna enjoy wearing this jacket lots.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Congrats Randy, it looks nice and fits you spot on!
What a lining, it looks spectacular on your photos, very like it!
Nice purchase, very nice. Congrats again!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thank you guys, very appreciated. Anyone know how to change the title so it's spelled right? Looks like I goofed when I typed that in last evening.

Yes, plan is to keep this around! Was thinking about a Dustbowl too but overall I prefer this pattern & cut for a brown leather jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
Just excellent all the way. Aero's brown is such a rich color, and you (Carrie?) nailed the fit.

You might be able to change the spelling by going to your original post, click on edit and see if you can change the spelling in the title. On some forums you can, but not sure about this one.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Bee’s knees. The color looks gorgeous in all the different lighting. Love the cut. Wish it favored my build. That should be THE jacket for you. New avatar now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ