Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breeches

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi Gang,

This is a pretty broad question but... I need help finding breeches.

I'm looking for breeches of basically any heavy, hard-wearing material- cotton or wool. Need to be sturdy both for wearing in the woods and when motorcycling in case of spill.

I've got three pairs of vintage ones now- none of which fit properly! My waist is 34 but I don't have thin 1930s calves... So I can wear them but none will lace/button and look stupid tucked into my boots.

So... Any suggestions? Ive thought of WW2 US repro "elastique" breeches but they are a little too military to my eye. And all the equestrian stuff is too tight and/or modern looking.

Once again, any help is appreciated!

Clint

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi cbrunt,
Well let me tell you my experiences with breeches. I used to wear them during work in the early 90's. I've had them both in leather and heavy cotton-poly twill. There was not very much stretch in these breeches, but were comfortable enough for patrol duty and riding on a light motorcycle. However, I found the cotton-poly breeches not safe as motorgear. Also, cleaning them was always an issue. The leather breaches weren't that bad - still have them. If you consider wearing them often, you might want to go to a tailor and make one specific for you. Good luck.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, I agree with Andy. Regular breeches give little or no protection in the event of a go down on a motorcycle. I remember from a safety article years ago that jeans protected the skin from a slide for only 4 to 6 feet before exposing the skin to the asphalt. And surprisingly, washed jeans gave better protection than new, unwashed jeans.

For protection while riding, stay with heavy leather or riding specific textiles with armor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic