Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bride's wedding gloves

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
My fiancee and I are working on the final plans for our wedding. One of topics that has come up is that of gloves. She would like to wear gloves, but we're not sure as to how the placing of the ring on her finger is handled.

I've done a search on the forum, and didn't find information (maybe it's there, but my search didn't turn it up).

As for the type of glove she is looking for... she wants one that ends right below the crease of the elbow.

Any and all help/advice is appreciated.

Mike

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I don't know if it is vintage, but one of my friends always wanted to wear gloves to her wedding. She wore them down the aisle of the church, then when she handed her bouquet to her bridesmaid she took them off and handed them over too. It was stylishly handled!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Here is an excerpt from the glove etiquette thread in the powder room:

MissElizabeth said:
According to my copy of Emily Post:

"Jewelry, including watches, is worn underneath gloves."

And just for fun:

[When dressing for a ball] "...women may wear long gloves, which they leave on through the beginning of the ball but remove when they begin dancing or eating."

I'm sure you an also find several glove etiquette websites by running a Google search.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I've looked through my copy of the 1936 'wedding and marriage' book. It seems to concur with the above, the bride wears the gloves down the aisle, then when she turns to her bridesmaid to hand her the bouquet she takes them off.

To be honest, I think taking nerves into account it may be as well if she wears them for her 'getting ready' photos and then merely carries them with her bouquet. Bear in mind if it is a church wedding there are some nice examples of bouquets which are designed around a bible and gloves. (I carried one as a bridesmaid some years ago)

Good luck and have a lovely day! Remember to post pics!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Google turns up this site:

"If you are wearing short gloves, it is appropriate to remove your gloves and hand them to one of your attendants. If you will be wearing long or elbow-length gloves, your simplest option is to slit the seam on your ring finger and push the fabric in, so your ring finger becomes accessible. Another option involves making a cut perpendicular to the seam, across the seam at the base of your finger. During the ring exchange, you can slip your finger out, and once the band is in place you can slip your finger back in.

A third alternative is the purchase an old-fashioned glove that buttons at inside of the wrist. With this type of glove, you will need to become adept at unbuttoning the buttons at your wrist. Then you will slip your hand through the opening you created and, finally, you will need to take that part of the glove that is left "hanging" and push it at the back of your hand. Should you choose this option, you would best practice the technique before your wedding day. The good news with this alternative is that your bouquet will probably hide your hand, so may want to do the process before the processional, in advance of the ceremony.

The final option is to purchase fingerless gloves, which, of course, solves the problem. This type of glove begins just above the elbow and goes down over of the back of the hand. A loop is used at a point of fabric to secure the glove to the middle finger."

I think I read the advice to slit/cut the glove in a '60s-era etiquette book, ages ago. But you'd have to cover the ring once you put it on, and that seems odd for a wedding.

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Thank you for the advice so far. Though it is not a vintage wedding, I will be wearing full morning dress, and she will be in a ball gown (or at least that's what I hear).

We had heard about about the cutting of the seam, but were trying to figure out how it worked. I mentioned the taking the gloves off, and she might opt for that.

If there are any more thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Mike

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
I wore short gloves for my wedding in September - I wore them for most of our photos, and also wore them down the aisle. Once I reached the altar, I removed them and handed them to my maid of honor. It was very elegant and did not distract from the flow of the ceremony whatsoever. My maid of honor then held onto the gloves until the reception, I did not put them back on after the ceremony and did not bother retrieving them from her before leaving the ceremony. I suppose that's what bridesmaids are for!

The Shirt

Practically Family
A girlfriend of mine had long elbow length gloves on for her entire ceremony. She did not take them off. I did not notice until seeing her pictures afterward that on her ring finger - she was gloveless. It either had a small removeable sleeve over just that finger or it did not have a covering at all. To be honest with her bouquet - I don't think anyone noticed at all. I don't know what that is called or who the manufacturer might be - but it might be worth asking at the bridal stores of such a thing. I thought it was so nifty.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of vintage net fingerless gloves that a bride wore in the mid 50's... they were part of a box of handmade lace and the sort. No finger loop at the front, they were a bit more like wristlets, and flared out above the wrist. I kept them since I thought they would be pretty cute for something dressy. I don't know if something the sort would be formal enough for a gown, but there does seem to be a selection:

thumb_Lace_mitt_bridal_glove.gif

DSCF0065.1.JPG

(Pics from google, they aren't my gloves....)

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Gloves

I use to work at a Bridal Salon and we would tell Brides that wanted to wear gloves for the wedding to either:
Cut the ring finger off of their glove to slide their finger out. That way their wedding ring can touch their skin. After they exchange rings but "glove finger" back on.
or
Remove the gloves when they hand their flowers to the MOH.

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
My Fair Wedding

Just got done watching an eposide of "My Fair Wedding with David Tutera" and he said if you are wearing gloves for your wedding day to take off the glove on your left hand and hand it to your MOH.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I believe my aunt (who got married in the early 90's) wore a pair of gloves that had a ring finger but it was separate from the glove itself. The finger was loosely sewn onto the palm edge of the glove so that it could be maneuvered off and then back on again after the ring exchange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points