Briefcase Style

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by poetman, May 3, 2017.

1. poetman

poetman A-List Customer

I'm looking for some forum feedback on two briefcase styles: the flapover and the top frame/Gladstone. Is one style considered more vintage, or classier, than the other? Also, for those who have used the Gladstone style, what are your thoughts on it. I've only used the flapover style but need something new and have been interested in the Gladstone, thinking it will hold more contents without looking overstuffed.

Flap
    [​IMG]

Gladstone
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have used both. I think the flap over is a little more sophisticated looking, especially if it is a softer less structured leather. However the top frame is much easier to use. The contents are right there easily accessible whereas the flap over requires much more digging.

TPD166 and Edward like this.
  3. poetman

poetman A-List Customer

Any sense on which is an older style?
    Any other gentlemen have feedback to offer?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. kaiser

kaiser A-List Customer

I have had both and prefer the flap over. Simple closure mechanism on the flap over in most cases which adds to overall robustness. Period correctness ? I think both types have been around for a long time, so it is a matter of personal choice.

5. poetman

poetman A-List Customer

I'm looking for a vintage one, so I won't be able to test it beforehand, but am I right in assuming that the top frame style is probably heavier given its frame? I'm afraid the Gladstone will look more like a suitcase; I suppose dimensions are important with that one.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  6. Benzadmiral

Benzadmiral Call Me a Cab

I have a vintage lawyer's briefcase which looks like your Gladstone style, and it isn't really lightweight. But it is sturdy.

poetman likes this.
  7. poetman

poetman A-List Customer

Does it appear/feel like you're carrying a suitcase when it's full?

8. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

My preference would be The Gladstone, I had a black one for school instead of a satchel, and I still have it, although quite where it is, memory does not serve me well.
    My working life started round about the time that the James Bond movies were becoming a hit. The attache brief case in: "From Russia With Love," had all the Bond gizmos, and every wannabe Bond had to have an attache case. Then some bright spark in marketing came out with the ultimate Bond briefcase:
    briefcase 2.png
    I too, had an attache case that was a Christmas present from my wife, after the Bond briefcase, I quietly retired mine, digging out my old school Gladstone. If you remember the briefcase then you will probably remember the bullet hole transfers that the wannabies stuck on their cars.

9. Benzadmiral

Don't know about the appearance, and in any case I don't really fill it to capacity. But I'm aware that I'm carrying a briefcase for sure.

I use it to tote manuscripts to and from my once-a-week writer's group, and the dividers inside come in handy to separate manuscripts for this week from ones for the future, etc. Since its predecessor was a big plastic bag, it's a definite improvement. (And one lady in my group told me she thought it a very "masculine" case.)

Bob Roberts and poetman like this.
  10. poetman

poetman A-List Customer

Yes, absolutely. A briefcase always beats a plastic bag.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  11. Mine's from Saddleback Leather; reminiscent of the old barrister's cases I guess. It's substantial; if I'm gonna carry one I want to be able to get some stuff in it! An built like a tank; like their tag line says: they'll fight over it after you're dead.

[​IMG]

Bob Roberts likes this.
  12. Benzadmiral

My venerable old Eddie Bauer bag from 1994 or so:

EB_Briefcase_02.jpg EB_Briefcase_01.jpg

Purchased at one of their local stores for about $120, I think. They offered a leather-trimmed canvas model for about $30 less, but I'm glad I went with this beast. It holds checkbook, phone, current book, pens, hairbrush, pillbox, flash drives, compact umbrella, and more. It's seen snow, rain, hot sun, and having cats sit on it (now and then I have to clean feathery tufts of white Siberian cat fur off the shoulder strap). The only repairs have been the metal fasteners for that strap. Local shoe repair shops didn't have the parts, but once I ordered some hardware from The Buckle Guy online, one shop was able to refurbish the strap. The little top handle is starting to crack, but it has years left in it, as I don't grip the bag there very often.

Sure, I thought of getting one of those lovely Saddleback units, but the price deterred me -- especially as this one does everything I need at a cost since 1994 of less than $10 a year.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Bob Roberts likes this.
  13. Yep; I just retired my Eddie Bauer bag - a leather one about the same vintage as yours. I loved that bag but it finally gave up the ghost. Like you I had replaced the strap swivels and done a few other repairs but the leather finally wore through in several places and there just wasn't enough left to sew together any more. Found my Saddleback on the bay; not cheap, but sure not retail!