Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim edging question.

Fedora

Vendor
I was wondering of anyone here knows if the welted Borsalinos all come with the hand felted edge? I just bought one recently and did not think that I would like this "welt" as I assumed it would be sewn. I was so surprised to see there was not a stitch anywhere on the brim edge. This sort of welt I like. I just wonder if I can expect to see this same hand felted welt:D on other Borsalinos. Or, did they also sew them on cheaper models. I was happy to discover that hand felted edgiing requires a superior fur mixture. regards, Fedora

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
If I'm not mistaken, that's known as a "Cavanagh Edge", a welt that was patented by Cavanagh, and then licensed out to other hat manufacturers like Borsalino.

I like it a lot too.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fedpra

Zohar is very correct. It is a Cavanagh edge , hand felted, and on the more expensive felts. The edge is produced during the felting process, hence the higher cost.

Fine examples of workmanship.

Fedora

Vendor
So that is what a Cavanagh edge is? I sorta thought the same thing when I read about the edging at Hat Life. For some reason, they did not call it that. So Cavanagh came up with this type of edging and then sold others the right to use it. They patented it? Just curious. I gotta tell you fellows, this hand felted edge just knocked my socks off. I wonder if it is still being offered on hats nowadays? I do know one thing, I have become a fan. And that is a huge step for me. Normally, I refuse to wear anything that doesn't have a raw brim. I am turning into a hat snob, pure and simple. The quest for a good Indy hat has led to stronger drugs. Vintage Stetsons, vintage Borsalinos, and vintage Disneys. But, I do not own a Cavanagh. So that is the next quest. Fedora

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Good luck. They're quite common on ebay, but most are in particularly bad condition. If you hunt long enough, I have no doubt you'll find a good one.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
My first fedora was a Cavanagh. As time went on though I saw that I looked better with a wider brim and higher crown so I sold it to a friend. My only Cavanagh now is my Cavanagh 100.

regards fedoralover

Dakota Ellison

New in Town
Here's a pic of my Sovereign Stetson with a Cavanagh edge:
71hj003-vi.jpg

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Some Borsalinos, and other Italian hats like Barbisios, have a whip-stitched edge. I'm not sure if there's a purpose for that (like if you pull it, the entire hat unravels in Laurel and Hardy fashion, or something), but in it's own way it is distinctive.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I have some hats with the Cavanagh edge reffered to by Stetson as a "Mode Edge" and another company reffers to it as a "Custom Edge".

The newest hats I have seen the Cavanagh edge on are from the 60's, and I think that was the last of 'em.

I have had a few conversations with Graham over the last year and he said that it can still be done they just need a strong enough interest.

most of the hats I found when I started looking for fedoras had Cavanagh edges.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
fedora, the cavanaugh edge was patented in 1931, then licensed to many other hat manufacturers. Sometimes in older hats you will see the stamp of the patent in it as they were required by law. Like Andy said, it has to be done in the felting process and to my knowledge, it isn't done today because of market conditions and cost. Borsalino has as many edge finishes as you can imagine. There is no single edge treatment that defines a Borsalino.

Maduma

New in Town
Stitched brims on Fedora type hats

I have a Federation IV plus a number of other hats and both my Federation IV and my Montecristi Havana (super fino 3.5 brim) both have no stitching on the brim but some of my other hats including one of my wool felt hats do have brim stitching. I notice that also some of the the high end hats like the Borsalino felt hats have fine stitching. What is the general guideline about hats with stitching and those without, is it a guide to quality; ie no stitching better quality or vice versa? I was thinking about buying an Akubra Adventurer but can't see clearly enough if there is stitching though it looks like there isn't.

fedoracentric

Banned
I have a Federation IV plus a number of other hats and both my Federation IV and my Montecristi Havana (super fino 3.5 brim) both have no stitching on the brim but some of my other hats including one of my wool felt hats do have brim stitching. I notice that also some of the the high end hats like the Borsalino felt hats have fine stitching. What is the general guideline about hats with stitching and those without, is it a guide to quality; ie no stitching better quality or vice versa? I was thinking about buying an Akubra Adventurer but can't see clearly enough if there is stitching though it looks like there isn't.

Brim treatments do not necessarily denote any sort of quality. It is a decorative choice, not a mark of quality. About the only brim treatment that was ever considered a mark of quality was the Cavanagh Edge because it was more expensive to produce (and cannot be duplicated effectively today and won't appear on any new-made hat). All other brim treatments are just a matter of style, not necessarily quality.

Maduma

New in Town
Thanks very much for the reply Fedoracentric, just what I needed to know! I actually prefer a brim with no stitching but have recently been looking at some Fedoras that I like but they have some stitching, so was wondering what the difference was from a quality point of view.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
A plain stitching - like the one on Stetson's Playboy - have no other than decorative purposes. A welting or binding of a brim is a lot more than just a decorative choise. A welting or binding strengthens the brim-construction quite a lot and will usually help keeping the snap in a snap-brim - especially on lightweight felts.

Maduma

New in Town
Thanks very much for the explanation TheDane, very informative! I can see how the welting or binding would help with the lightweight felts, makes sense now.

carldelo

One Too Many
I had a raw edge fedora that became wavy over time. I had the brim bound, which restored the snap and it has been fine since.

My first hat was a Cavanagh with the eponymous edge, I have one underwelt and multiple bound-brim hats. I much prefer some sort of edge treatment, for the look of it, as well as the snappiness retained in the brim. Also, it seems trivial but it's much easier to hold a hat with a welted brim without dropping it.

barrowjh

One Too Many
The only time I want a plain edge is for westerns, wether in the Strat/OR brim width (2 1/2 - 2 5/8) or with wider cowboy brims. I think a fedora looks sort of naked without some edge treatment.

art_deco_fan

Familiar Face
The only time I want a plain edge is for westerns, wether in the Strat/OR brim width (2 1/2 - 2 5/8) or with wider cowboy brims. I think a fedora looks sort of naked without some edge treatment.

I completely agree! I have many bound edge hats, and they have a more dressed up look. nearly all my raw edge hats are daily knockabout hats. Nothing states as much class as a bound edge with a proper suit!
Cheers all and have a wonderful Christmas!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Brim treatments do not necessarily denote any sort of quality. It is a decorative choice, not a mark of quality. About the only brim treatment that was ever considered a mark of quality was the Cavanagh Edge because it was more expensive to produce (and cannot be duplicated effectively today and won't appear on any new-made hat). All other brim treatments are just a matter of style, not necessarily quality.

Agreed - the only exception being that it is possible (or at least it was quite recently) to buy a hat from Gary White ( http://www.custom-hatter.com/ ) with a Cavanagh Edge. It seems Mr White had a stock of vintage Borsalino felt bodies that came complete with the famous edge treatment.

I don't know if he still offers these or if the stock is used up now - several Loungers have examples of these hats I believe.

Of all the brim treatments, the Cavanagh is my favorite.

I agree in general but there were unique / specialized binding treatments that did. Quality was in the technique, materials and execution (hand / machine skill). For example I don't believe American hat companies produced this type of high-end brim treatment.

6167448066_eba1bcb804_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ