Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bringing a 60s Bates back from the dead

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
Picked this up after ID by @Will Zach who also has one of these....it was dry as a bone, broken main zip, nothing left of the pockets (Zips were good thankfully) and a garbage replacement liner that was fried anyway.

I've removed the liner and painstakingly removed every thread, not sure if I'll get it relined in grey like it had originally, or leave it unlined.

Thanks to TFL I was put in touch with @photo2u who sorted me with the EXACT #5 Talon that I needed, so that will be next.

It's taken about 6-7 coats of leather dressing over the last 3 weeks, and the leather is really coming back to life.

It's probably a 38, but I can zip it so maybe a 40. Not sure if will stay or go, but I'll put the zipper in at the very least before I decide.
IMG_1748.jpg

Anyway, really appreciate this forum and all the help.

M.

Attachments

• 7185bef5-31e4-4fb7-bd95-90a015f431f9.jpeg
    7185bef5-31e4-4fb7-bd95-90a015f431f9.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1747.jpg
    IMG_1747.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1745.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Picked this up after ID by @Will Zach who also has one of these....it was dry as a bone, broken main zip, nothing left of the pockets (Zips were good thankfully) and a garbage replacement liner that was fried anyway.

I've removed the liner and painstakingly removed every thread, not sure if I'll get it relined in grey like it had originally, or leave it unlined.

Thanks to TRF I was put in touch with @photo2u who sorted me with the EXACT #5 Talon that I needed, so that will be next.

It's taken about 6-7 coats of leather dressing over the last 3 weeks, and the leather is really coming back to life.

It's probably a 38, but I can zip it so maybe a 40. Not sure if will stay or go, but I'll put the zipper in at the very least before I decide. View attachment 473269

Anyway, really appreciate this forum and all the help.

M.
Love to see members who take their time to do the job right. There are many here who by necessity or interest are trying up repair work. I love your cat eye jacket. Bates is a none sense motorcycle jacket maker. Your particular jacket was made during their best production years. I am all for the full racer look. No lining. LOL. I have an HD motorcycle racing event jacket made by Bates. Mine has no lining. Old school all the way. Looking forward to seeing it finish.
Thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy