Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Britain's Lost Cities

TM

A-List Customer
I especially like the quote from one of the main criminals: Herbert Manzoni, the City Engineer and Surveyor of Birmingham from 1935 to 1963: “I have never been very certain as to the value of tangible links with the past,” he said in 1957.

Tony

Warden

One Too Many
My family are from Hull in East Yorkshire and the city centre was heavily bombed, I forget the figure. but something like 90% of buildings where either destroyed or damaged.

Then in the 1960s town planers went made with concrete and destroys what Herman Goring did not finish.

Mind you they are at last recreating the beauty of Hull city centre with what’s left,

pg_paragon.jpg

See article here

Harry

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Warden said:
My family are from Hull in East Yorkshire and the city centre was heavily bombed, I forget the figure. but something like 90% of buildings where either destroyed or damaged.

Then in the 1960s town planers went made with concrete and destroys what Herman Goring did not finish.

Mind you they are at last recreating the beauty of Hull city centre with what’s left,

pg_paragon.jpg

See article here

Harry

That's some good news.

Newwcastle has also undergone some restoration and development and was, when I last visited, looking very spruce.

When I lived in England I had to make many visits to Croyden. That place is a disgrace to urban planning, to architecture and to the gift of vivion, by which I mena the sense and not the ability to see into the future. Will it ever look like anything other than a collection of massive, concrete shoeboxes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points