Britain's Lost Cities

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by jake_fink, Dec 21, 2007.

1. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

2. TM

TM A-List Customer

I especially like the quote from one of the main criminals: Herbert Manzoni, the City Engineer and Surveyor of Birmingham from 1935 to 1963: “I have never been very certain as to the value of tangible links with the past,” he said in 1957.

Tony

3. Warden

Warden One Too Many

My family are from Hull in East Yorkshire and the city centre was heavily bombed, I forget the figure. but something like 90% of buildings where either destroyed or damaged.

Then in the 1960s town planers went made with concrete and destroys what Herman Goring did not finish.

Mind you they are at last recreating the beauty of Hull city centre with what’s left,

[​IMG]

See article here

Harry

4. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

That's some good news.

Newwcastle has also undergone some restoration and development and was, when I last visited, looking very spruce.

When I lived in England I had to make many visits to Croyden. That place is a disgrace to urban planning, to architecture and to the gift of vivion, by which I mena the sense and not the ability to see into the future. Will it ever look like anything other than a collection of massive, concrete shoeboxes?