Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Army Motorcycle Riding Boots

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

Just scored these on ebay...size 8 Medium
BritishRidingboots_001.jpg

Seems like it's a British Army issue (from 1944) made by a company called Moccasin Makers in Northampton.
BritishRidingboots_002.jpg

The overall condition appears to be very good with very little wear (mild wear on the sole).
BritishRidingboots_003.jpg

Anyone has a bit of information of these boots?

Thanks in advance,
Blethook

Pip

A-List Customer
Very nice boots indeed, I've a pair myself.

Not motorcyclist boots though. They are private purchase British Officers 'Field Boots', worn instead of ammo boots in the field. Extremely practical and generally very comfortable!

Pip

A-List Customer
blethook said:
Pip,

Thanks for the info. One more question: How come they've got the broadarrow marking if they're private purchase?

Regards

It's a slightly tricky one, one which I've complicated by using "private purchase" in the wrong sense haha. Basically they were manufactured officially for the army (hence the broadarrow) and were available to officers through the army stores (etc) although the officers weren't physically obliged to buy them, resulting in the majority not doing so.

There aren't a great deal of photos showing them in use, although there is a famous one of the 1st Battalion of the Border Regiment (group photo, one of the officers is wearing them) and a slightly more obscure photo of No1 Combined Operations Bombardment Unit in which the RA officer is wearing a pair.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
RAOC Officers' Boots

May I observe that these are Ordnance Officers boots, and were intended for use by commissioned officers in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps - which handled storage and transport of munitions. As officers' equipment they were not issue, but were available through the ROAC depot supply system, having been manufactured according to contract. Not quite 'private purchase', which implies that officers could have bought them 'to pattern' on individual order from suppliers of their choosing.

According to Brayley and Ingram Uniforms of the WW2 Tommy (page 122) they were not popular. Officers in other arms of service may have 'borrowed' them They should not be confused in B&W photgraphs with the motorcyclists' boots ('don-R boots') that have similar uppers but a different toe and are black (but this may not show). Here's another pair:

RAOCBoots.jpg

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Motorcyclist's boots are very similar, but black pebbled leather, and with three straps instead of two. Early versions had a metal plate on the right instep to deal with the kickstarter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk