Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRITISH Belt-Back Suits and Sports Jackets

Two Types

I'll Lock Up

As is often noted here on the FL, British suits and jackets with belt-backs are somewhat rare. As such, I thought I would start to search for advertisements offering them for sale to the great British public.

Here are the first I was able to locate:

The first is from 1937 and gives a rear view of a summer sports jacket complete with belt:

1937.jpg

The next is from 1938 and shows sports jackets from 'Jacksons the Tailors'. They offer a choice of a variety of styles of pleated or gathered backs. Available in a selection of coloured tweeds:

Jacksons1938.jpg

This is from 1939. Cornish's Men & Boys Wear offer sports jackets with the choice of plain or belted backs. Again, a selection of tweeds, including Harris Tweed:

1937beltbackchoice.jpg

Hopefully, I'll be able to find some more.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
What's really interesting about these, is since the English much more than Americans maintain distinctions between "city" and "country" cloths/colors, we can infer the intended purpose of these garments very clearly. I like that flannel trousers ate clearly referred to as weekend wear too. Thanks for posting!

One question: in the old Pound Sterling system, when a price is written as 7/6, does that mean 7 shilling and 6 pence or 7 pound and 6 shillings?

Qirrel

Practically Family
7 shillings/6 pence. 20 shillings to the pound. The guinea is also frequently seen in menswear catalogs. I believe it was seen as a sort of status symbol to quote the price of something in guineas. (One guinea=21 shillings.)

Last edited:
yes, and often in the lower end catalogues, they shy away from using pounds (sounds more expensive). so you quite often see things marketed at 57/6 and the like crazy numbers. Perhaps this was because people were so used to working in numbers way, way, way below the pound that they found absurdly high numbers of shillings easier to understand.

I'll post some of my catalogue belt back references when I get a chance. One, The Houndsditch Warehouse Co. General Catalogue For 1938 offers many different back treatments, and has illustrations of them. I think my Dunlop Sports Clothing for 1939 catalogue also has belted backs, but I'm not sure.

bk

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, in case you forgot about this one from the British suits thread:

Lounge Sports jacket and flannels, 1939:
beltback1939.jpg

is this thread just for ads or photos too ?

(apart from the light blue Burtons suit in the British suits thread and BK's possible one from Australia are there any other British belt-backs already posted on here ? Ben ?)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
HBK: I think this could be a place for adverts, old photographs, film stills and photos of Loungers' suits. Throw them all in! I was going to copy over the pictures from the 'british suits' thread, but was a bit tired last night.

Is that Burton's? The back of the brown one looks like the back on mine.

TT, in case you forgot about this one from the British suits thread:

Lounge Sports jacket and flannels, 1939:
beltback1939.jpg

is this thread just for ads or photos too ?

(apart from the light blue Burtons suit in the British suits thread and BK's possible one from Australia are there any other British belt-backs already posted on here ? Ben ?)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
What's becoming clear is that this was an American style that took a few years to cross over to Britain. And that was a real departure back then. When Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David was the only serious influence on American men's clothes, this was like putting toothpaste back in the tube.

It was always my impression that the beltback style came out of Hollywood, or at least caught on there, and that it was around the time the drape or blade suit came here from England. That was 1934, about when your modestly well off gent could start buying new clothes again.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Much nicer looking with the yoke shoulder. The one in the b&w still forms these 3 huge arcs that remind me of...hell, I don't know what they remind me of. They look flashy and cheap, which might have been the point.
attenborough_brighton_rock_01.jpg

BTW, it's Richard Attenborough in Brighton Rock, 1947.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Some more adverts ...

Whitson 1936, a choice of 'plain or fancy back' sports jackets:
1936-Whitsun.jpg

Here are sports jackets by 'Jacksons the Tailor' in 1938:
1938-SportsClothing-Jackson.jpg

detail:
1938-SportsClothing-Jacksondetail.jpg

Here is a belt-back jacket made by 'Sandom' (1937):
1937holidaybeltback.jpg

Here are two adverts for 'Sportown' jackets. They are both almost identical. In 1936, they are offering a choice of pleated or plain pockets.The main difference is that the 1936 advert doesn't offer belt backs, however there is the choice of 'plain, half belt or pleated back models' in 1937:
1936-pleatedpockets.jpg

1937-sportown.jpg

Easter 1937:
1937-pleatpocketsandbelt.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
from the George Formby film "turned out nice again" 1941, a gathered back jacket with pleat pockets:

ScreenShot2012-08-24at221602.png

ScreenShot2012-08-24at221617.png

ScreenShot2012-08-24at220938.png

oddly, for a sports jacket this one is pinstriped:

ScreenShot2012-08-24at221059.png

and from "Come on George!" 1939, a light tweed pleated back worn with jodhpurs:

ScreenShot2012-08-28at112210.png

From the 1938 General Catalogue of the Houndsditch Warehouse Co., Ltd. Batteries just died on my camera, so this cruddy iMac photograph will be replaced when I have more batteries. They offered these in 4 different belt back styles and a plain back, too: A belt with "action" pleats to the shoulders (similar to those seen on Pinkie's jacket); Scalloped shoulder yoke, full length centre pleat and belt with smaller side pleats; belt with no pleats; belt with small side pleats.

trorusers available in waist sizes 32-42 inches. Chest sizes were 34-42, mentioned on a different page.

HoundsditchBeltBack1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto