Broken-in Lost Worlds a Myth?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Powerband, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Powerband

Powerband Practically Family

I’ve seen pictures of Big Foot, but I’ve never seen pictures of broken-in Lost Worlds jackets. I mean, really broken in, not just a little wrinkle and some lines on the arms simulating creases. Does anyone have any evidence to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Well, that A2 I purchased from you is certainly broken in, but I get that’s not what you’re referring to. Here it seems unlikely unless purchased well loved. You can’t look at all the cool jackets on TFL and remain jacket monogamous and you could never break in a LW if it were not your one and only.

Powerband likes this.
  3. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

They don't exist. A man who wears a broken in jacket is a sissy. Stu doesn't make jackets for sissies. His jackets are only for real men—they will never break in and be comfortable to wear.

4. Hh121

Hh121 One Too Many

A well broken in LW doesn't looks as good as Horween Chromexcel hide, many old LW jacket from Ebay looks horrible to me. Of course, a brand new 4oz plus LW jacket is unparalleled.

sweetfights likes this.
  5. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

I’m working on it Powerband! I’m planning to give my new CHP some good hard wear on the rainy days we have coming up this winter. Considering that I have at least six or seven other jackets in the rotation though it will probably take a couple decades to break it up this way.

6. jeo

jeo One of the Regulars

They do break in it just takes a lot of effort but so worth it

Powerband, tmitchell59 and thor like this.
  7. red devil

red devil One Too Many

My suburban is comfortable, it has been everywhere

Powerband, sweetfights and thor like this.
  8. thor

thor One Too Many

I had a LW A-2 for about 8 years, wore it every day, everywhere. It was awesome! Perfectly broken-in. I’ll try to find some pics. Sadly I eventually outgrew it and purchased another LW one size larger. Now I’m working on trying to break that one in (but I’m mostly wearing G-1’s these days).

Peacoat, steve u, Powerband and 2 others like this.
  9. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

Here you go, 4 ounce +. 7 years old

DSC07007ddddfff.jpg

10. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

I can tell you guys- I have been abducted by aliens, fought Bigfoot, had a snowball fight with an abominable snowman, located a leprechaun's pot of gold, but have never, ever seen a worn-in, broken down Lost World's jacket.

AeroFan_07, Monsoon, ton312 and 6 others like this.
  11. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

That's the trouble-outgrown before worn down.

12. oneterrifichog

oneterrifichog Practically Family

Got to say I am not sure who's aged the most, me or the jacket, but I am sure liking my LW along with all the others I own or may own in the future. Lost Worlds jackets not aging quickly is a good thing as far as I am concerned. It means I can keep wearing them in the rain while riding down the highway without any fear of getting wet. It means the jackets don't wear out. I am not looking for my jackets to wear like denim, I am looking to wear these jackets and enjoy them as long as I am still kicking. If I wanted a mall jacket that gave that 40 year look, well then I would have bought one. In so far as the jacket below is concerned it's comfortable and well broken in and I don't think it looks too bad either. J-24-c.JPG
    J-24-b.JPG
    J-24-d.JPG

J-24-e.JPG

13. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

I think they break in with patience. They just don’t do the patina dance to well.
    B

Benny Holiday, JMax, thor and 3 others like this.
  14. roadking04

roadking04 A-List Customer

I think Abba hit the nail on the head, no patina whatsoever. That Is a great looking jacket Hog!

15. Powerband

Powerband Practically Family

Thanks for your (sometimes hilarious) replies. I suppose the LW jackets break in by softening up. As mentioned, they don’t patina well like a teacore jacket. I have had and still own Lost Worlds and love them because they’re, uh, manly. But even with just a little wearing, they do soften and the grains appear readily. I guess I always expect wear marks that are lighter than the surface of the jacket... but that’s probably for sissies and not real men.

I’ll take a picture of mine in about 15 years to update this thread. Stay tuned.

16. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Pretty hilarious yourself PB.
    LW has only been around since @1986 and not 50-70 years like some of those we dearly cherish. I’m sure there are some survivors who have endured the battle to patina. I’ve seen a couple pics of well worn and fairly patinaed examples here but that recall is a Lost World of it’s own. Mine will be ready to post....when i’m about a hundred.
    B

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Powerband likes this.
  17. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

Sweet!

oneterrifichog likes this.
  18. lina

lina A-List Customer

I briefly had a pretty well broken in café racer, but ended up selling it. I’ll have to see if I have pictures of it..

Powerband and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  19. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Ah Wilbur and hoping you would weigh in since I have been aware of your love for your LW jackets since I have known you. I trust all is well with you on top of that little Tennessee hill called Signal Mountain!

oneterrifichog likes this.
  20. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

I imagine Wilbur got a little chilled on his mountain earlier in the week. The low here was 18 with a high of 28. On the mountain, Wilbur was probably 5 to 10 degrees colder. Brrr.

Fanch likes this.