Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers dress for success

StanleyVanBuren

The legal fraternity of which I am a member arranged to have a representative from the Brooks Brothers in Century City come out to the law school to give a talk on basic work wardrobe for lawyers starting out at a firm.

After the usual sales pitch, I got into a conversation with the guy about some of the stuff he'd presented. Then, I learn that first, he left the pocket square out of all his presentations because he thinks its "doing too much," and that he prefers to show NO cuff. I told him it looked like his sleeves were cut too short or that his jacket was unfinished, or both. He agreed but asserted that it was a matter of personal preference. I almost gave up right there.

But I had to ask about the armholes. Well, as expected he claims to prefer a loose-fitting, low armhole suit jacket. Ugh. But, he did say that their top of the line suits are moving away from this and now come with much higher-cut armholes. I'll believe it when I see it, but if he's right, at least it's an indication that they're moving in the right direction.

StanleyVanBuren

Mike K. said:
Sounds like he could learn a thing or two about classic style.
I hope you invited him to peruse the Fedora Lounge. :)

Well, no, but he gave me his card & offered a 15% discount to any of us that came in. So I might just drop in, and give him a copy of issue #1 of Classic Style. I have an extra.

Chaperon

New in Town
Brooks Bros Outlet

Thanks for setting him straight, Stanley.

One of the few gems in the Atlanta area is the Brooks Bros outlet. A season out of step and sometimes a dry hole fashion-wise, but good stuff is just as often there.

I scored four pair of merino wool socks for less than $20 a few months back. Really comfortable and crisp looking. Three over calf and one mid calf height.

Best is one pair coordinates really well with one of their Prince of Wales pattern sport coats I got there a year back ($abt $200 if I remember).

I can't afford Brooks retail as a steady diet, but the outlet does help (smile).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Chaperon said:
I can't afford Brooks retail as a steady diet, but the outlet does help (smile).
FYI, most of the merchandise sold at BB outlets is made specifically for their outlet stores and generally is not made to the same standards as the stock found in their retail stores. It's best to shop their retail stores during their seasonal sales.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
FYI, most of the merchandise sold at BB outlets is made specifically for their outlet stores and generally is not made to the same standards as the stock found in their retail stores. It's best to shop their retail stores during their seasonal sales.

And if you do shop at the outlets, look for stuff that doesn't have "346" in big numbers on the tag--just the Brooks Brothers script logo. You'll sometimes find it, especially on the clearance racks.

Chaperon

New in Town
Wow - Thanks!

I had no idea about the difference in outlet v retail! I've not bought that much from either source yet, so I hadn't noticed. I really appreciate the "heads up" !!

Jovan

Suspended
StanleyVanBuren said:
But I had to ask about the armholes. Well, as expected he claims to prefer a loose-fitting, low armhole suit jacket. Ugh. But, he did say that their top of the line suits are moving away from this and now come with much higher-cut armholes. I'll believe it when I see it, but if he's right, at least it's an indication that they're moving in the right direction.
He obviously hasn't worn a higher armhole if he "prefers" a larger one.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think it's better to get a job and then see what your coworkers wear before buying your work wardrobe. Others may disagree with me, but it's important to look like you fit in, especially when you're new.

Jovan

Suspended
Paisley said:
I think it's better to get a job and then see what your coworkers wear before buying your work wardrobe. Others may disagree with me, but it's important to look like you fit in, especially when you're new.
I WILL NEVER BECOME A SHEEP! BAAAAAA!

:D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
If you must be a sheep, be the finest Italian merino, in rich jewel-like colors, with a fine silky hand.

It's all about subtlety. Few can detect that. The one rabid conformist in twenty may have a very sharp eye for Different and throw a quiet vendetta at you because of a paisley tie or a jacket that fits a little too well. But they typically have other traits you can exploit to outthink them.

Jovan

Suspended
If I needed to work an office job I'd stick to what I usually like to wear, which isn't very flashy. Course, if they told me to ditch my love of skinny ties, then it's AWWWNNN.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
StanleyVanBuren said:
Well, no, but he gave me his card & offered a 15% discount to any of us that came in. So I might just drop in, and give him a copy of issue #1 of Classic Style. I have an extra.

Issue #2 has an armhole article... so try to talk him into a subscription while you're in the shop.

Their new high end suits do have higher cut armholes, though it's not just the height of the armhole, it's the shape and their new suits have the wrong shape so they fell just as restricting as the lower cut models... nothing like what Kennedy wore in the 50's. I know, I have Brooks Brothers jackets from the 50's and the fit is much better.

The 346 ties are a good deal and the patterns, particularly the repp stripes are straight out of the 1930's. They are made the same as their retail store ties and I have several. I think they aree a good deal.

StanleyVanBuren

Baron Kurtz said:
clearly he was lying to sell more product.

bk

After hearing the bit about preferring to show no cuff, I don't think it was a lie. I think he was just very misguided.

What I do have to give him credit for in his personal wardrobe are the use of braces and a tab collar. I thought those touches were cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21