Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUCKAROO BONANZA! - The Hats that Major Mike Moore Makes

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here at the Fedora Lounge we all enjoy hats: looking at hats, collecting hats, wearing hats, buying, selling and trading hats. Of course I like all of these, but one of the most enjoyable is showcasing the hats made by our hatmakers who are few and far between these days.

Today when I got home from work there was a big box next to our door, a box full of hats from Major Mike Moore of Buckaroo Hatters. I've spent most of the day since then changing hats and standing in front of the mirror saying to myself, "Hot damn!"

http://www.buckaroohatters.com/

My hope is that this thread will become a showplace for the Major's hats. He's one of the most outstanding people I've done business with in a long time, and I'm really glad I asked him to make these hats for me to wear.

IMG_0512.jpg

I thought I would never want a black hat, and then I saw one like this one and loved it. I wanted this to be a special occasion hat, so I asked Mike to make me one out of pure beaver. I was the ribbon that changed my mind.

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

The second hat I took out of the box was a silverbelly. I wanted this one to be a knock about hat, but it won't be. Mike made this one from one of his staple bodies, but he made it way too nice for knocking about. This one is so soft, it just melts into shape when you touch it and it feels like a hat I've had for years. The ribbon and binding are burgundy, and the hat stands out.

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Duck

Practically Family
Bob, you sir are a man with good taste. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Those hats look fantastic. The silver belly with the burgundy binding is wonderful..

BobC

There were two other hats in the box today, too. One was a vintage hat that I had some problems with. I had worn it out one day and gave it a good sweat and then it rained and the hat got a good soak and so did I. When the hat dried out, the sweatband curled up into a tube and got to be as brittle as glass, the hat shrunk at least a full size and the ribbon was stained with who knows what. I sent the hat to Mike and asked him if he could fix it for me. The hat gave him more trouble, and as he pulled it onto a block to restretch it, it tore at the crease between the brim and crown. He had warned me that the felt was old and might be weak and asked me what I wanted to do and I told him to go ahead and do what he could with it. If most people were involved that would be the end of the story and I wouldn't have expected more, but not the Major. Major Moore made me a replacement hat and sent it to me free of charge.

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

He told me he made this one from an old body he'd had for a while and that I could use it for a fowl weather hat. I don't think so. I think it's way too nice for that. I have other hats that can be fowl weather hats.

How many people would go to that length to take care of a customer? Not many, I say.

Thank you, Major. I'm looking forward to shaking your hand one of these days. And thank you for these hats. I'm going back to the mirror.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Bob, those hats are amazing! I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like the best. The ribbon on the black one is very unique and sharp, and the silverbelly is gorgeous in its own right. Awesome hats! :eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I too have experienced Mike's generosity firsthand! He built my "Phoenix" for me and I would say that was probably harder than building a new one due to the condition of the felt.He has also hooked Dee and my girls up with great hats!

Bob they are all outstanding!! I saw that ribbon on the black one in person when we visited the "original" shop and it is gorgeous! The silverbelly burgundy combo, all I can say is wow!3 Awesome hats you got there!!

BobC

Thank you, Duck. All of these are really examples of the Major's good taste. He had already made a black one like this. I just saw it and asked him to copy it for me with a brim binding and a full beaver blank. When we talked about the silverbelly I just told him I wanted a silverbelly hat. I said I wanted him to dress it for me.

Thanks, Scion. I've been changing hats all evening. Heck, I may not go to bed tonight. lol

Three at once, Bart! It's like Christmas come early or dying and going to hat heaven.

IC, you and Rusty know better than I do. I just got off the phone with Mike thanking him for these beauties. The man is all kinds of excited about hats and rightly so.

Thanks, Carter. He did me more than proud. He's truly a gentleman, something that's rather rare in today's world.

BobC

theprofessor said:
the black with the silver band looks better on you than any hat ive seen you don thus far

Thank you, Professor. And thank you, Mike. The black has a substantial feel to it, but still it's very soft and fits like a glove.

BobC

indycop said:
So Bob which one gets the first full day of wear? Will there be sibling rivalry?:D

Let's see. It's about 06:20 now and I've been up since about 05:30, and so far today I've had all three of them on my head. I try to treat all the boys the same. lol I'm still going back and forth between my coffee cup and the mirror too.

RBH

Bartender
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap OUTSTANDING!!!!!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Super hats Bob! I love them all, but my favorite is the last one.
Super sweet and... I really like the unique band on the black hat, and the binding on .... well I could go on and on and on!

:eusa_clap Fantastic job Mike!:eusa_clap

majormoore

Vendor
Thanks to all of you for the postive comments you are giving on the hats and how they look on Bob. I am very glad he allowed me to make these for him.

Major Moore

Mr. Paladin

BobC, those are all beeeu-ti-ful! I think the black one is the very best....no, the silverbelly with the burgundy ribbon...or...the black one.[huh] I give up, they are all superb! Glad I don't have to choose which one gets the maiden voyage but you can't go wrong with any of the three.

bolthead

Terrific job Mike.....

BobC said:
Let's see. It's about 06:20 now and I've been up since about 05:30, and so far today I've had all three of them on my head. I try to treat all the boys the same. lol I'm still going back and forth between my coffee cup and the mirror too.
Be careful with that java Bob.....:eusa_doh:

They're all beauties, Mike did a superior job on them.....he sure is a stand up guy. :eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
To help get this started as a showcase thread here are my 2.;) :D
The first I have taken to calling the "Chickamauga". I love the camel/butternut color and wanted it because it was a civil war color that I love on a cavalry hat. Since the hat is from tennessee and I cross the Chickamauga Damm every year when we go to Crossville it seems right.

P9210044.jpg

P9210048.jpg

P9210046.jpg

The next one is a rebuild Mike did for me, the "Phoenix"

PB230168.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana