Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buckaroo Hat Bodies??

litlfeat

New in Town
Are Buckaroo Hats made with bodies from the Winchester Hat Corporation?

Any info given would be appreciaed.

litlfeat

Yes - good question of "Ask a question, get an answer" sticky thread. Welcome to the Lounge.
Major Moore was instrumental in getting the tours of Winchester set up for the first FedoraFests held at Mount Eagle, TN.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I am not mistaken all hatters use bodies form Winchester.

Hi

It's my understanding that HATCO, i.e. Stetson makes their own. I believe that at least one foreign firm manufacturers hat bodies too. Winchester is probably the largest in the US. They are owned by Stratton, who make the State Police Campaign hats. I can't provide references for this, except for Stratton, so feel free to provide data is you have it.

Later

Winchester is the only US based felt body producer that sells to outside hatters. HatCo does its own felting in Longview, TX & ships all bodies to be finished in Garland, TX factory.
Optimo & other hatters source felt bodies out of Europe like Alejandro stated.
Interesting fact is that Winchester had to get the fur for the felting from Europe since there are no longer any plants in the US that remove the fur from the pelts.
Beaver pelts travel over to Europe then the fur comes back in bundles to be made into felt bodies. Talk about some carrying costs in your raw materials....

1961MJS

Hi

How is the fur removed? Um, is there a reason we don't treat beavers, nutria, and bunnies like we treat sheep and just shave them? I'm betting that hats use the under fur, which can't be shaved off as easy. Between the EPA and PETA, I'm guessing that it's too much of a pain to get the fur here.

Later

casechopper

I would guess that it would be cost prohibitive to live trap, shave and release beaver/bunnies/nutria as compared to the old style method of killing, skinning and shaving. Imagine trying to shave a live wild animal. Also, one has to wonder how well a shaved beaver would do in the wild after release.

litlfeat

New in Town
I took the liberty of calling the Winchester Hat Corp. and asking them if Buckaroo Hatters used their bodies, the anwser was yes!

I did so because I am interested in getting a hat like the one Robert Duvall wore in "Lonesome Dove", which is done by the Knudson Hat Co. in California, http://www.knudsenhats.com/Hatdept/gusmccrae.html.

I would like to get this hat in 100% beaver, but have a hard time with their price of $900.00 when Buckaroo Hatters charges $435.00 for theirs.

I have emailed Mr. Moore and am to give him a call on Saturday to discuss this purchase. My concern is can he produce the hat as pictured. I had purchased one from O'Farrell's Hat Company in the past and it was essentially a hat with a Montana crease, not nearly looking like the one worn by Robert Duvall which is what i am interested in or pictured on the Knudson's site.

Can anyone give me their opinion on this desired purchase? BTW, Knudson uses Winchester Hat bodies as well.

Looking forward to hearing from members regarding this situation.

litlfeat

1961MJS

Hi

I sent Mike Moore a picture of a hat the rough riders were wearing in the movie of the same name with Sam Elliot etc. I got back a hat the was the same shape. I didn't order it the same color though.

Roughrider_01.jpg

If and when I get a new job, I'm ordering more from Moore. Feel free to use that in you ads. :D
Not unemployed, but my job is moving in a while.

later

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I would like to get this hat in 100% beaver, but have a hard time with their price of $900.00 when Buckaroo Hatters charges $435.00 for theirs.

Looking forward to hearing from members regarding this situation.

litlfeat

Yikes! They have raised their prices-- actually I didn't know Knudsen even offered a 100% beaver.

Everything I've seen here from Buckaroo Hatters has been nothing short of amazing, especially that one MJS just posted (I had forgotten about that one!).

That said, I have yet to see a better formed western derby than Knudsen's. My Bat Masterson is perfect, but wool. I wish I had known then the differences that made the higher cost of fur a worthwhile expenditure...

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yikes! They have raised their prices-- actually I didn't know Knudsen even offered a 100% beaver.

Everything I've seen here from Buckaroo Hatters has been nothing short of amazing, especially that one MJS just posted (I had forgotten about that one!).

That said, I have yet to see a better formed western derby than Knudsen's. My Bat Masterson is perfect, but wool. I wish I had known then the differences that made the higher cost of fur a worthwhile expenditure...

yeah, there's a blurb on the Knudsen splash page about it...something about increased demand from China.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
One of the great things about Akubras is the knowledge that we are helping to control the Australian rabbit over population with each new hat we put on ... and if you've ever tasted pan fried rabbit, you've got another reason to own as many Akubras as possible.

Rabbit-fil-a!

Sam

litlfeat

New in Town
Most hatters seem to classify their hats as "Gus", for their hat under that name. Knudson is the only site I have visited that calls theirs the "Gus McCrae". Take note of the difference in examples of the "Gus" hat.

lonesome-dove_b.jpg

Gus_2.jpg

photo.jpg

if20l1636zdkje-lg.jpg

Most hatters don't seem to differentiate between the crease nor the shape of the brim. Of the images shown none are even close to shape of the Knudson "Gus McCrae.

RBH

Bartender
Here is a shot of me and Mike with Jeff and Greg from Winchester Felt.
Greg Fiske is the guy in the back and he is the one that runs the show at the factory.
He is a really nice guy and has treated us well when we would visit.
The photo is from 2010 when Mike opened his new shop.

014us.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui