Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buckaroo Hatters ''I Saw The Light'' movie news.

RBH

Bartender
I just got off the phone with Mike Moore of Buckaroo Hatters.
He and Rocky were just leaving Nashville.
And he called to tell me that we could finally put out the news.

Buckaroo Hatters will be making the hats for the Hank Williams bio-pic
''I Saw The Light.''

Mike had been contacted by the costume designer, Lahly Poore, a couple of months ago about doing the hats for the film.
She gave him a few specific things she was looking for and Mike was to have them ready for a meeting in Nashville.
I was able to see a couple of the hats and they looked fantastic!
Mike and Rocky met with several of the movies key people, among them Tom Hiddleston. Who, I was told, looks great in a hat [and really looks like Hank Williams].
I was also told a fedora plays a big part in the film.

I hope Mike will let us in on more info as he is able, and I look forward to when we can see some photos.

Congrats Mike and Rocky on a job well done!!!!

RJR

This will become even more interesting as they begin producing the hats.I really hope the major keeps the FL posted.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I just now took half of my staws downstairs and brought up a few thin-ribbons, including my Buckaroo, and see this good news. You earned it!

a pic of the Buckaroo from a couple years ago -

Bravo, Mike! Congratulations!

That's a very good break, indeed. But then, a person has to be ready for such a break to come his way.

I couldn't be more tickled to hear this. If anyone deserves this, it's Mike Moore. He has quietly, humbly, diligently honed his skills and built his business such to put himself in this position.

And a bunch of us get vicarious bragging rights. We get to say we are acquainted with the guy who made those hats in that movie.

Last edited:

majormoore

Vendor
Thanks everyone, I can tell you this, the dictator is dead set on this being right, he made a statement to me that this movie on Hank was going to show him alot in a fedora hat ( 2 5/8" bound edge , with a 5 3/4" open crown, shape with a diamond crease) when he does his western music scenes he will be wearing two different style of western hats we made based on one hat that we see him wearing alot, with the leather hat band with the silver all on it with a buckle set, the other hat will be one that all of the people there today loved what we made, I'll keep that style under wrap a little longer, but it is a cool looking western hat, with a very hard crease to do.

I have to make two more Fedora hats for Tom both will be used in the film, Tom left today with one of the Fedora hats and was told to wear that hat every day until they start shooting toward the 3rd week of Oct, and they wanted him to wear it each day on the movie set, and will change hats as needed for some scenes, so we are making a second hat just like the one he took today and will use in the movie for most of the movie. BTW He loved the hat and told me several times, he now feels like Hank with the hat on.

It was a long day today, but I had a great time, they want me and Rocky to attend some of the shooting of the movie once they start.
We were very proud , when all present, stated we nailed the hats and look they wanted, we did our homework on these hats and it paid off.

I'll post some photos when they tell me its ok, but I wanted ya'll to know first a fedora will be used alot in this movie.

Major Moore

majormoore

Vendor
They did not want to use factory made hats, and really did not want them for the western hats needed, because the boxed western hats now days are not even close to the hats worn in 1946 to 1953.

I forgot who but I think John B. in Knoxville when at the hat shop one trip gave me some western catalogs dated around 1950, we reviewed those styles and made the hats looking like those for the stage hats needed for the western look. The brims on these hats are 3 1/4" with bound edges.

Also Rusty here on the FL helped me find all the photos he could find of Hank in all the Fedora hats and we used his info for those fedora hats.

Major Moore

Last edited:
They did not want to use factory made hats, and really did not want them for the western hats needed, because the boxed western hats now days are not even close to the hats worn in 1946 to 1953.

I forgot who but I think John B. in Knoxville when at the hat shop one trip gave me some western catalogs dated around 1950, we reviewed those styles and made the hats looking like those for the stage hats needed for the western look. The brims on these hats are 3 1/4" with bound edges.

Also Rusty here on the FL helped me find all the photos he could find of Hank in all the Fedora hats and we used his info for those fedora hats.

Major Moore

Glad to hear they're sticklers for period authenticity. When I think of all the millions spent making movies and how often we see anachronisms in those films, and how relatively inexpensively they could have been avoided, I die just a little.

Judging from the photos of him I've seen, Hank was a good-lookin' guy, and well turned out. I'm among the many, I'm sure, who are looking forward to seeing how he is portrayed in this film, right down to his attire.

Congratulations again, Major. This is indeed a big deal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points