Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget A2 - AVI vs. QMI

FlatfootPhil

New in Town
Hello all,

I'm on the lookout for an A2 jacket but I'm on quite a tight budget.
I was reading some good reviews about the AVI LTHR Bronco A2 and I was almost decided to buy it but then I stumbled upon the QMI horsehide A2 which is currently on sale for 200€ in my size which is a very tempting price.

Does anybody have some information about this one regarding quality? I don't need anything super correct. I just want it to look good and be of a good quality. On the website there are really good reviews (for the QMI) but here and on the other forums I found some that said it's not such a good jacket. But these were from 2014 and I didn't find any new ones.
Anybody here maybe bought one recently?

Or are there some other A2 makers in Europe in this price range? I had a Noble house Lost contract but had to sell it because it was too big and baggy.
http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=57

I'm based in Europe so I don't really want to order any from overseas because of the shipping costs and customs charges.

QMI
https://qmi.be/a2-flight-jacket-horsehide-leather.html

AVI
http://avilthr.com/product/a2-flight-jacket-seal-brown-bronco/

Thank you!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I remember hearing good things here a while ago about What Price Glory's EXTREMELY reasonable A-2 being a good semi-accurate goatskin replica of a WWII jacket:

http://onlinemilitaria.com/products/6787-US-A-2-LEATHER-FLIGHT-JACKET-2018-RUN/

I haven't seen it myself, but the three WPG jackets I own (M-43 field jacket, Ike jacket, belted bush jacket) are all excellent products for their low prices. And though they're an American company, they ship from Dubai - I'm not sure what that means in terms of buying from Europe, but it might be better than the average American seller.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I've tried QMI's jackets at a UK airshow, a year or so ago. Things might have changed since then.
A-2 - Was ok, but the horsehide felt a lot like cardboard. Hard to move, very 'flat', no character, lifeless... Perhaps they have updated since then. If theres a no quibble return, you could try one and do a review ;)
M422a - Was also ok... But again, pattern was off, mouton was not very nice.
B-10 - Again, ok for the price, but mouton was nothing like that soft vintage mouton (even Bob Dong has)... The pattern was off, the knit was not very nice.
I don't recall the details, just the feeling I had after trying them on.
AVI is on another level entirely.
The thing with them, is you get an original-maker jacket, not a 'house' generic A-2. Jacket is comfortable, the goat is supple with character, decent components etc...
If you are EU based, I would certainly recommend trying one. Nothing to lose, but a little return postage.
Hell, get both, compare and then return one or the other... or both.
If you go for an AVI, I'd recommend the seal version. Its very nice.
ps Seal Militaria also sometimes has some jackets, but again... House patterns

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Hi Phil and welcome to the Lounge.
I have no experience with the brands you mentioned. If you are not looking for an accurate repro of an A2 but rather an A2 looking alike jacket then I would propose you take a look to the Wested website. I own a goat Indy and although not on par with the big names (it costs 4 times less) it is great for the money.
Avi has some great reviews here.
Anothet option is maybe the quartermasters sale at aero (this monday)? Probably you can find sometging at around 300 pounds.

Edward

Bartender
Worth checking out the Aero sale on Monday morning (items going live on website monday 22 9am uk time). I am given to understand it's going to have a large number of A2s available from their latest trainee programme. FWIW, my Highwayman is an Apprentice made job, and it's flawless. Ken and Denny don't let them out of the factory if they're not up to scratch. Great way of scoring a legit Aero in every way at a lower price.

Otherwise, TBH if you can afford to spend EU300-350, I'd wait and watch eBay; ELC, Aero and others of the big names turn up around that price used regularly.

FlatfootPhil

New in Town
Thank you all for the replies! I will definitely check the the Aero sale! I was also checking Ebay for a while but nothing really came up. But Brett's idea with ordering both is not so bad, maybe I'll end up doing that. I'll keep you posted

FlatfootPhil

New in Town
Does anybody have some size recommendation if I manage to score some Aero? I couldn't find no measeurements on their website. From the AVI i would need a 46 or 48.

Edward

Bartender
Does anybody have some size recommendation if I manage to score some Aero? I couldn't find no measeurements on their website. From the AVI i would need a 46 or 48.

As a rule, always best to email Aero to ask, they'll provide that information. With sale jackets, I suspect they will (as per used, blue label et cetera) provide the measurements for each when the sale opens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk