Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burning Loose thread

hafor123

Familiar Face
Hi there FL,

Wondering if any anyone had any experience burning loose threads on a horse leather jacket?

I burned a loose thread near the leather would this damage the leather at all if I used a bic lighter to the thread for half a second?

Thanks!

cbez

One Too Many
when I do it on boots I don't hold it close, I start far away and just tease it from the side until the heat effects the thread.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I think there are better/safer ways to take care of this. Not worth the possible risk in my perspective.
How much are the threads sticking off the surface? Are they really that noticeable?

@iknowleather -- any thoughts you might have?

hafor123

Familiar Face
I think there are better/safer ways to take care of this. Not worth the possible risk in my perspective.
How much are the threads sticking off the surface? Are they really that noticeable?

@iknowleather -- any thoughts you might have?
Probably won't continue was wondering if there are any long term effects on the leather from doing this one thread?

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Might consider heating a nail or other small metal object like one with a lighter or torch then use that on the thread. Keeps the open flame away from the leather and the heat will singe and seal the stray thread.
You could also dab a dot of super glue on the base of the thread with a toothpick. Then snip the excess. If you're quick about it you may be able to press the thread down into the hole or seam depending on what's going on with it.

I usually burn them off and press them in. But that's also on heavy leather and not garment leather.

My experience is that as long as there's no residue on the leather and you didn't burn it then there's rarely any long term affects. Most of the leather goods I've disassembled have threads ended that way.

hafor123

Familiar Face
Probably won't continue was wondering if there are any long term effects on the leather from doing this one thread?
Not seeing any damage
Might consider heating a nail or other small metal object like one with a lighter or torch then use that on the thread. Keeps the open flame away from the leather and the heat will singe and seal the stray thread.
You could also dab a dot of super glue on the base of the thread with a toothpick. Then snip the excess. If you're quick about it you may be able to press the thread down into the hole or seam depending on what's going on with it.

I usually burn them off and press them in. But that's also on heavy leather and not garment leather.
Thanks for your reply yeah the one I am posting about is a extremely thick horse hide.

zebedee

One Too Many
It won't do any damage. I've done this over 15 years and never seen a problem. Most leather jackets have hidden internal stitching and one surface thread doesn't lead to an unravelling (that I've seen). This has been true on sleeves, collars and internal panels. No need to worry.

hafor123

Familiar Face
It won't do any damage. I've done this over 15 years and never seen a problem. Most leather jackets have hidden internal stitching and one surface thread doesn't lead to an unravelling (that I've seen). This has been true on sleeves, collars and internal panels. No need to worry.
You seem very knowledgeable, I was concerned about leather damage.

zebedee

One Too Many
You seem very knowledgeable, I was concerned about leather damage.
Leather doesn't burn from a half-second exposure to a small flame from (e.g. a lighter). I don't recommend or discourage quick-burning a loose thread - clipping it off might be better - but I've not seen any damage. Others might disagree, but it's never damaged a jacket I've owned. I did it to a thread on the back of a Highwayman collar about 12 years ago and it's never been a problem :). Something like heavy hh isn't going to be affected by that - leathers were often used for ironworking because of non-flammability.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I’ve done it plenty of times in shoes, boots, leather jackets, etc. with zero issues. It’s just a tiny flame for a split second.
Quality leather goods are supposed to be resilient, otherwise what’s the point?

hafor123

Familiar Face
I’ve done it plenty of times in shoes, boots, leather jackets, etc. with zero issues. It’s just a tiny flame for a split second.
Quality leather goods are supposed to be resilient, otherwise what’s the point?
Absolutely I am new to leather so I am still learning the ropes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner