Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bush Jackets

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Nothing says I'm on safari like a bush jacket. Some can be dressed up and some can be dressed down though they all say I've got some extreme work/lounging to do.

Any of you guys go for the safari look?

37.1943.2.jpg

bushjacket.jpg

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
I'm rather fond of the safari look, myself. I have a old Willis & Geiger bush jacket that I've had for awhile, and a light-weight bush jacket from the original Banana Republic, before they went yuppie. And, of course, a couple of wide-brim safari hats.

Baggers

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
WWII British Khaki Cotton Aertex.

Matching Strides too, of course-

B
T

And don't forget your brothel creepers!:cool:

During the warmer months, my daily wardrobe looks like something out of Mogambo. I'm still searching for the perfect bush jacket and I'm thinking I may have to go custom to get what I want: British style epaulets (wide base with no "x box" stitching and tapering up toward the button); large pleated chest pockets with maybe chest darts above; and large flapped bellows pockets that are mounted slightly back and on the sides more like a suit jacket, not directly under the chest pockets; and a belt with a removeable leather buckle for washing. Of course, it needs to be made of a decent weight of pre shrunk cotton twill and built with a flattering fit, not some oversized SML sack like styling.

Cheers!
:cheers1:

Baggers

Practically Family
Slate Shannon said:
I'm rather fond of the safari look, myself. I have a old Willis & Geiger bush jacket that I've had for awhile, and a light-weight bush jacket from the original Banana Republic, before they went yuppie. And, of course, a couple of wide-brim safari hats.

I've got a W&G bush jacket that I got fifteen years ago when I worked in one the retail stores they had briefly when owned by Laura Ashley. It no longer fits, but I still have it in hopes of someone being able to copy it. I haven't been able to find one as well made since.

Cheers!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I've got a Van Husen Safari Jacket I like to wear with my brushed cotton Bill's khakis and cap toe boots. And either pith helmut or safari hat.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
green papaya said:
CJ10019.jpg

I like to wear foreign surplus fatigue jackets like this FRENCH jkt

A lot of European military surplus is actually really kool. Some of the gear I see in the Surplus shops over here is really old and obscure- not necessary military-like in appearance. Some of the stuff in my local shop dates back to the 1910s...
...I must go and rescue all that stuff.

B
T

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
Too bad Willis and Geiger went the way of the Dodo.
Here, here! W&G had a safari jacket that was their "Hemingway Jacket." It was very stylish. It shows up on eBay from time to time and commands a decent price.

I still laugh when I read in Hemingway biographies that he took his son to Abercrombia and Fitch in NYC to buy a spear gun for a trip to Bimini.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Your DREAM Bush Jacket...

So, we've had a little bit of discussion- but what would YOUR ideal Bush Jacket LOOK like?
What features would it have?- keeping in mind it might/should be a '30s style.

Fabric type, collar style, pockets, pleats, length, belt, ..other features/details...?

I'm interested to hear-

B
T

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Do I like the safari look?! I gotta be honest; I like nothing better! My bush jacket is an Orvis, which I wear continuously. It's no longer made, but looks very similar to the Baretta jacket offered at Cabela's. Mine has a patch on the right shoulder, though, in matching material with a croshatch stich pattern. It is a bit heavy, but as soon as I need a jacket, out it comes. The things I love about is that it has useful pockets, including on the sleeve, it has coconut buttons, and it absolutley never wrinkles. It also has an interior drawcord, rather than a belt. I've found the belts to be a pain, so though the drawstring may not be strictly accurate, I prefer it. It also has action pleats with a short strip of elastic inside. I thought that I would feel that, but I never do, and it keeps the back pleat closed. Other details I like are the ammo pockets above the left pocket, and the small coconut D-ring under the left pocket. Here's a pic of me looking rather serious, in my Orvis and pith helmet

If I could, I'd dress like anyone of these folks (with the exception of Osa, hiding third from the left) every day. I originally got into the safari look because my dad was in the Air Force in the early 1960s. He came in just about the time they issued a full-on safari uniform, including shorts, bush jacket, and pith helmet. The uniform was really unpopular :)eek: ), so it was abolished within a year or two, but I inherited all my dad's uniforms, and wore that bush jacket to death.

I've really considered getting one of Cabela's bush jackets, because it incoporates all the things I like about my Orvis jacket, but of a lighter material. I'd be interested in a review of anyone has this jacket. My wife keeps telling me "No more khaki!"

How about this for a theme for the next gathering of the FL? Safari Dinner Life in the Bush Bush Picnic

Nick Charles

Practically Family
wonderful

Great stuff Jack, where did you get those boots? they are tip top. Very Denys Finch Hadden.( or Rick Oconnel)

I'd love to attend a Safari weekend. I'll be there with bells oin next time.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
Great stuff Jack, where did you get those boots? they are tip top. Very Denys Finch Hadden.( or Rick Oconnel)

I'd love to attend a Safari weekend. I'll be there with bells oin next time.

Thanks, Nick! Rick O'Connell, I can live with that! Denys Finch Hadden, too, for that matter!

I think those are the one time I got a great deal on e-Bay; actually, that's not true, because my bush jacket is also an e-Bay steal. I had my boots at the QM summit, which was probably the first time I wore them for a long period of time, and they were just awesome. They do need a bit of conditioning and polish, but I haven't been brave enough to start applying stuff to them yet. I to bring my pith helmet and my bush hat to the QM, but forgot them both in the rush.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Jokerswild7 said:
I love that outfit Jack!

and whats this about a gathering in Fl?????

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn! Now I just have to learn to smile for pictures.

Actually, though, that was a gathering of F(edora) L(ounge), rather than in FL(orida). Like the Queen Mary summit of a couple weeks ago. Sorry! Though a gathering in Florida doesn't sound too bad, now that the cold is starting to set in (even here in the Mojave; down to a high of 53 today)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto