Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying an A-2: help needed

Raul

One of the Regulars
Hi,
I'm new here, but I tried to read several posts before posting. However I still need your expert advices to help me with buying an A-2 jacket.
Here are some point that could help you to answer:

- I want a jacket that I can wear regularly and for years to come. I want it in horsehide leather and in Russet color. The leather should be very nice quality and not too stiff so that it doesn't require years to become wearable.

- I am not fanatical about the precision of every smallest detail, even though I want a good quality repro and not a "generic" A-2 (like Avirex etc).

- Real McCoy and Eastman are decisely too expensive for me, while Aero is within my budget.

- Another option could be US.Authentic, but if I remember well I read that their horsehide is very stiff and thick

- are there other brands that I should consider?

- I am in Italy, so maybe Aero could be a bit easier to get (less shipping charges and no customs fees from UK).

- if I should choose Aero, I would need your advices again, because they make so many versions of A-2 that I frankly wouldn't know which one to pick.

Thank you in advance.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
In your situation I would get the Aero. I got one this spring and really like it. I had a US Authentic first and sent it back. The Aero's horsehide is much lighter and breaks in easily. Get the Aero "Real Deal". it's cheaper than the other contracts but still looks very nice. You can also keep checking their sale page for a deal. Here's a pic right after I got it. It looks different now as it's more broke in. It looks more red in the picture's than it really is.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...ge?page=displayproduct&subcatid=99&prodid=519

IMG_20070411_0001.jpg

fedoralover

Raul

One of the Regulars
Fedoralover-
your is the Russet-Rust (with rust referring to the wool), right?
Frankly I could afford the £60 more for another version if they are worth for a better looking leather, without the "marks and scars" that seem to be present in that model according to the site description. In this case, which model should I choose?

I read great reviews also about the GoodWear jackets but I think they are decisely more expensive.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
RAUL, Actually you can get a Goodwear for $780. US dollars. Not that much more. I would highly recommend it. As to the more expensive Aero, there really isn't that much difference in the hides. And once they break in, with all the creases and wrinkles, you would never see what is there.

My Aero is the Russet horsehide with rust colored knits. You can also get it in seal brown. You can choose what color knits you like. Or even a different pocket design if you like.

fedoralover

dadgad

New in Town
Raul,
I'm from Milan, I recently bought an Aero 1938 contract in smooth russet with dark berry knits, they made it upon my measurements in 5 weeks and it's just great.
I suggest you to write to Amanda at Aeroleather asking for leather and knits samples, she will send them to you for free.
There is no custom fee from UK to Italy, it costed me a total of € 605,00.

10.jpg

09.jpg

Raul

One of the Regulars
Thank you Dadgad,
I would like to pm you for some more detail (in italian) but I'm new here and still cannot send pm. Can you please email me?
Thanks

dadgad

New in Town
Raul said:
Thank you Dadgad,
I would like to pm you for some more detail (in italian) but I'm new here and still cannot send pm. Can you please email me
Thanks

Done ;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You said that you wanted a jacket that you could wear regularly and for years to come. Consider an Aero A-2 with their "cotton drill" lining rather than their much thinner cotton lining, which is likely to show wear within 3-4 years of heavy use. The Aero cotton drill lining is said to wear like iron, and the wool knits on my Aero A-2 are the most durable that I have ever seen on any jacket. I recently received an Aero "Bronco" A-2 with Aero's regular cotton lining in the "mustard" color but am awaiting an Aero Highwayman with the cotton drill lining. My Aero Bronco A-2 is russet brown goatskin. There is not necessarily virtue in owning an exact reproduction of the WWII A-2 when Aero's cotton drill lining and heavy duty knits offer greater longivity and durability. Also, Aero offers a modern heavy duty zipper on their utility jackets that is more durable than the more delicate Talon generally used on their A-2's. It just depends on how closely you want to duplicate your jacket to the WWII original.

jrfancher

I really love the construction and quality of the Aero product, and the Aero service is second to none. The Aero goatskin is every bit as thick as their midweight horsehide and should be extremely durable. However, I suspect that my Highwayman soon to be delivered will be my workhorse jacket rather than my Bronco because of the more durable cotton drill lining in the Highwayman.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Edward,

The original (1980s) Aero A-2s often came with red cotton linings. I owned one for over 12 years and it showed little wear - not anything to mention when I came to sell it. The cotton is very much the same as that used in other Aero jackets.

Alan

Edward said:
Hoosier, is that a red lining in your Aero? How do you find it for durability?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The red lining might be silk, which Aero has used in the past. However, I am told that the last of their red silk lining has been depleted and is no longer available. It is my understanding that silk is much more durable than cotton. Gibson & Barnes has a silk lining listed as the lining for their Historical Russet Goatskin A-2.

http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_a2_hist_goat.html

Edward said:
Hoosier, is that a red lining in your Aero? How do you find it for durability?

Hi Edward
Yes...it is the rusty/red spun silk lining once offered by Aero. However..it is not a satiny "silk"as one might imagine. It does slip on and off easier than the cotton lining(otherwise..less cling)...seems more tightly woven with slighty more slickness to it than the regular cotton. This material does seem to be more durable. After five years...there is no wear on the lining of this A2. It's my understanding that it has been discountinued as an extra cost option from Aero. Why?...I have no idea. It is a very nice lining.
HD

Edward

Bartender
Alan, Fanch, Hoosier..... thanks....

I quite fancy the red lining if I can get it as an option without it being too expensive.... no real reason, other than pure aesthetics: I think it looks great with the seal brown and rust cuff combination. I'm increasingly tempted by the price saving on the 'real deal' jackets..... if I don't go that direction with the first one, I might think about acquiring a russet real deal later on. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points