Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson or Eastman Navy Chambray Shirt

nkang

One of the Regulars
If you want a repro, ATF or MASH for a fraction of the price...

ATF: http://www.atthefrontshop.com/US_Navy_Chambray_Shirt_p/usncs.htm
MASH: http://www.mash-japan.co.jp/oversea/cgi-bin/prd-eng.cgi?itemno=09-06-2000&ck=

ATF quality is ok, MASH is really, really great.
Thanks a lot for your links, Cocker! I've purchased an ATF navy shawl collar jacket before and the Chinese denim fabric is simply bad compared to Japanese denim. The seam work is also very coarse so when the indigo blue fades away you can see all the careless stitches...so I returned the item and will probably avoid ATF if the items are made in China.

I've never heard of MASH so I'll take a look. Just wondering if you know how they reproduce the items? Is the fabric sourced from China and do they also source production to China as well or is it done in Japan?

Cocker

Practically Family
Thanks a lot for your links, Cocker! I've purchased an ATF navy shawl collar jacket before and the Chinese denim fabric is simply bad compared to Japanese denim. The seam work is also very coarse so when the indigo blue fades away you can see all the careless stitches...so I returned the item and will probably avoid ATF if the items are made in China.

I've never heard of MASH so I'll take a look. Just wondering if you know how they reproduce the items? Is the fabric sourced from China and do they also source production to China as well or is it done in Japan?

Hello nkang,

No idea on how or where they source the fabric. All I can say is I handled a couple MASH items, and they are top quality. I have a pair of their A-10 gloves, they are the ones Eastman sells under their own name, so the quality is impressive, and price is lower.

willyto

One Too Many
One thing to consider when buying from Japan is that you will probably have to pay more shipping and depending on where you live you could get taxed at customs.

breezer

Practically Family
Freewheelers and Real McCoys make nice chambray shirts, though the Freewheelers Neal Cassady is not a navy version, more like traditional workwear. Itching to pull the trigger and order one from Japan.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I can tell you that the BR USN chambray shirt is very nice, well made and fits neatly. Additionally, I've had it for several years and it's showing no wear, though I've worn it numerous times. I always put it in the washer and dryer.

- Ian

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Freewheelers and Real McCoys make nice chambray shirts, though the Freewheelers Neal Cassady is not a navy version, more like traditional workwear. Itching to pull the trigger and order one from Japan.

I have 4 of the freewheelers chambray shirts and I love them. They are my favorite chambray shirts on the market right now and are quite fairly priced when you think about how expensive their jackets are.

Their chambrays are on the more affordable end of Japanese made chambray shirts if you buy them from Japan. I have a list of Japanese sellers for anyone interested.

breezer

Practically Family
I have 4 of the freewheelers chambray shirts and I love them. They are my favorite chambray shirts on the market right now and are quite fairly priced when you think about how expensive their jackets are.

Their chambrays are on the more affordable end of Japanese made chambray shirts if you buy them from Japan. I have a list of Japanese sellers for anyone interested.

pm me with details please!

nkang

One of the Regulars

Please pm me as well :) Thanks!

nkang

One of the Regulars
I can tell you that the BR USN chambray shirt is very nice, well made and fits neatly. Additionally, I've had it for several years and it's showing no wear, though I've worn it numerous times. I always put it in the washer and dryer.

- Ian
Hi Ian. Thanks for your comment and that's a very attractive quality! Just wondering if the blue color of your BR chambray shirt ever fades to the Steve McQueen look in The Sand Pebbles?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Hi Ian. Thanks for your comment and that's a very attractive quality! Just wondering if the blue color of your BR chambray shirt ever fades to the Steve McQueen look in The Sand Pebbles?
It hasn’t faded, so far....or it hasn’t faded to were its noticeable.

- Ian

Peacoat

Bartender
Years ago I had one made in the USA (may have been the Dickies brand) that faded to that really washed out blue that Steve McQueen wore in The Sand Pebbles. That was another article of clothing of mine that my girlfriend at the time liked to wear around the apartment.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
About, 15 years ago, I purchased an unissued/unused either USN or maybe civilian/prison chambray shirt circa 1940s or 50s. I wear it, wash and dry it, as well. It has faded slightly, in that time, but it still soldiers on. Of course, it’s faded slightly more in the collar area.

- Ian

nkang

One of the Regulars
Years ago I had one made in the USA (may have been the Dickies brand) that faded to that really washed out blue that Steve McQueen wore in The Sand Pebbles. That was another article of clothing of mine that my girlfriend at the time liked to wear around the apartment.
Nice story there, Peacoat! By the way, observing your avatar, were you in the Air Force? :)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Orvis has a chambray shirt that's exactly that faded color. It's the one with the buttons halfway up the sleeve so you can roll them up and secure them. Very soft cotton, as well. I liked it so much that I bought two more. BTW, be aware that the USN chambray workshirts are 50% cotton and 50 poly, at least the ones from the '70's onwards, as far as I know. They're not bad, though. Lots of 'em on Etsy and Ebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21