Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson USAAF A-10 Winter Flying Gloves mini review

Big7

One of the Regulars
I was in the market for some light winter gloves to go with my b-3 and a-2 jackets. I couldn't find any real reviews about a-10 gloves. I think I found some posts about people preferring Eastman and Buzz a-10 gloves over Aero, but that was about it.
Originally I was thinking about getting dark seal ones with red knits , but after seeing camel tan, and figuring it might get a nice patina later in life, I decided to give it a chance.
I got it through Rakuten Japan, at the moment with a conversion rate it came up to be around $135, and it only took 4 days or so for me to get it.
I'm blown away by the quality of these gloves. These are light, but tough goat skin, beautiful color, stitching and old school pattern to die for, amazing attention to detail,very quality craftsmanship.
I was worried a little bit about the fit, with my chubby hands and short sausage fingers, I never had a pair of gloves that would fit just right, but amazingly this pair fits, like it was made just for me. Perfect length for the fingers, proper all around, maybe a little excess over the wrist.
For the record, this is size 9, My hand measures about 8.7 " around the knuckles with middle finger about 3.2 "
These were a little tight at first, but after a couple times, stretched enough to be a comfortable perfect fit, now I know why there is an expression that something " fits like a glove"
Here are some pics, Enjoy !
hwFedhc.jpg

pG4PAnH.jpg

xPsbwPz.jpg

dOjZiZp.jpg

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Nice pick up. I’ve looked at the Rickson’s but they’re hard to track down in many sizes and patterns. I don’t really know how to buy off of Rakuten either. I purchased 2 pairs of A-10. 1 poorly made pair i got used and cheap that fit pretty well. 1 mid priced with better craftsmanship. This pair fits well in the palm but the fingers are frustratingly long. Both pair are warmer than i expected. Your cuffs are noticeably better made. I wanted the A-10 because the wristlet slides nicely up the cuff of my D1.
Enjoy yours.

Big7

One of the Regulars
Thank you. It is not that hard just google "Buzz rickson a-10 rakuten", and bunch of results will popup. It is in english and japanese , and lots of sellers accept Paypal. Give it a try. As long as you need bigger sizes 9 and 9/12 there are plenty options, smaller seems to be sold out

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Thank you. It is not that hard just google "Buzz rickson a-10 rakuten", and bunch of results will popup. It is in english and japanese , and lots of sellers accept Paypal. Give it a try. As long as you need bigger sizes 9 and 9/12 there are plenty options, smaller seems to be sold out

I second that. I’m not very smart, but have been able to navigate Rakuten a few times, successfully. I’ve always paid via PayPal, it only after I’ve gotten the all clear from the particular store prior. You want to make sure that they ship to the aunties States. If they say yes and that they have your size in that particular, they just send a PayPal invoice and you pay. Always chose the EMS shipping option. It’s very, very good. I can Ofer from Japan on a Sunday and I have the item in hand on Wednesday afternoon, in NYC. One time, I ordered on a subday and received the item by Tuesday afternoon via EMS shipping. It’s hetter than regular USPS. The other thing I’ve done when buying via Rakuten, is used Google translator. Most shops employees seem to be able to communicate in English, but I never assume that. So, I copy and paste to translator and then copy and paste to an email leaving the message in Japanese and English. Once I know the name of the shop, I’ll do a quick search on Facebook. If they’re on Facebook, I’ll go ahead and send that same message via Messenger, as well. As I said, if I can pull off t off, you can. Give it a go. If you don’t feel comfortable once you hear back because something seems off, you can always pull the plug. My experience has been that the stores are accommodating, friendly and that the garments are often a bit less expensive there than in the U.S. or England. That said , if they are available here, I always buy here. I’ve only bought from Japan if I couldn’t buy from HPA because they were out of stock or they just couldn’t get the item.

- Ian

Colin G

One Too Many
Cool review and good timing. I was just looking at these gloves.

I picked up some Red Wing heritage lined gloves but the fit is all wonky on all the ones I tried and fit long in the thumb and little finger. I am disappointed in the RW so I want to try the Buzz Rickson.

Dav

One Too Many
Great gloves, I have the Eastman version, which I think is the same. Would love them in tan if only I could find my size.

Big7

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I’m thinking about getting a second pair in seal brown anyway , will give Eastman a chance. It has been to warm lately here in PA to wear it, but I’m sure it will get colder soon :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo