Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cab coming to San Diego

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
I will be accompanying my wife to San Diego on April 20 and will be there for four days. She'll have some conference things to attend, but I'll be wanting for something to do, no doubt, during those times. R & R is good for a while.

Thoughts and tips from anyone, please? We'll be staying at the Marriott Marina next to the convention center.

Thanks.

Cab

ITG

Call Me a Cab
In Oceanside, there's a vintage shop called Dick, Jane, and Spike's. (Just north of San Diego). Also visit the island of Coronado to see Hotel del Coronado (I think that's what it's called). Some Like It Hot was filmed there.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Back when I was a Marine...

Broastreet was...how can I say it?... the red light district, so to speak. Of course I would never have been caught dead there. It may have changed, I dunno.

I seem to recall that it is really close to the Navy Pier.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Conference?...What conference? Shucks, I'm ready to book "The Del" right now.

Several things to do shaping up nicely. Thank you all. Any more ideas, please add to the list. I do appreciate it.

C

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
although it's in a neigherbood for those of *ahem* alternate lifestyles, I think the Wear it Again Sam is the best vintage store out here http://www.wearitagainsamvintage.com/

You may want to check out Balboa Parkk if you're into museams. The buidings are great, and there's a small WWII veteran's museam where they sometimes have swing dancing with live bands:
http://www.balboapark.org/

And, like everyone else says, Hotel Del Coronado is a must.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Well, we can't stay this trip. Already booked for the conference at the Marriott Marina. But I was thinking maybe go out there for supper one night.

I did look at the menu on their website. About what I would expect, I suppose, cost-wise. Not what I am used to, mind you, just no surprises.

Sergei

Gone Home
Hey Cab!,
I live in SD. I have to double check my calendar, but I believe I may be out that entire week for my daughter's graduation from college - Boston. If I am around, I would like to definitely hoist a pint with you. Maybe you can autograph my "maproom" brush that PBG sold.

All of the above suggestions are good ones - I don't know about the Broadway stuff. :) Around the convention center, definitely hang around the Gaslamp district. Lot's of fine restaurants, clubs, shopping, etc. There are plenty of parks to walk around the harbor/convention center area. The harbor always has at least one active Navy aircraft carrier parked, sometimes two. All around the harbor of SD is a good place to sight-see. The USS Midway (CVB-41) was just opened as a musuem last summer. It's right next to Seaport Village.
Small%20Sunset--4MB--ChasPfeil.jpg

For a good feel of Southern California, I would take the Pacific Coast Highway (HW#1). You will see quaint little villages like Del Mar, Pacific Beach, La Jolla, Encinatas, Leucadia, Carlsbad, etc. If you are really adventuresome, go to the desert. It's about an hour away. Head due east on Hwy #8. You will be amazed - that's my favorite part. You will be amazed at the diversity that the SD offers. All within an hour you have coastal, mountain and desert ecosystems.

Take Care...
-Sergei

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Sergei, thank you. If you will, indeed, be gone, I nonetheless appreciate your sentiments. If you'll be around, though, drop me a line.

I saw the gaslamp district on one of the MTS maps, I think. Sounded intriguing.

I told my wife about the proximity of the vintage stores and her eyes lit up a bit. As I alluded previously, this trip may end up being more play than work!

Looking more forward to this with each post. Thanks for these contributions and any that may follow.

Cab

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh and be sure to eat at an In-and-Out Burger. If you make it up to Long Beach, go to the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. restaurant. It's not too far from the Queen Mary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points