Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cafe Racer vs. A-2

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Which do you prefer: Cafe Racer or A-2?

• Cafe Racer

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • A-2

Votes: 20 39.2%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 16736

Both attractive jackets. How would you compare the comfort/looks/practicality for general wear? Which do you prefer? Thanks.

Here is an example of each style.

Cafe Racer (Goodwear):

front_view2.jpg

reverse_view2.jpg

Doniger A-2 (Goodwear):

front_view2.jpg

reverse_view1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
For me the cafe racer is cleaner and neater (love that it doesn't have a shirt collar) and it has the great benefit of not having knits, cargo pockets or epaulettes. So you can see my preferences right there. Comfort? Impossible to say - it depends on the cafe racer, the make, the pattern, the age, the wear, the fit, the leather, the era, etc. Ditto for an A2. My 4 cafe racers fit like a second skin. Unfortunately both jackets have become fashion cliches and I know people who, as a consequence, would never be seen in either.

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I've not worn a cafe racer so can't comment on that other than in aesthetic terms. The cafe racer will work on a very trim frame but not IMO if you're carrying excess weight around the middle.
I've owned a GW Doniger and it's a very comfortable A-2 in terms of length (they're often too short as a pattern, being cut for higher waisted trousers), arm movement (inset, rotated sleeve) and armhole (wider and not cut high). As far as A-2 patterns go it's also one of the more elegant and can be worn easily casually or with a shirt/tie underneath (as the neckline is lower/more open than some).

Plumbline

One Too Many
No competition for me .. Cafe Racer EVERY TIME. I just don't "get" A-2's ... I've tried hard but IMHO elastic should never be combined with leather, pockets should be for putting hands in, eppaulettes .. what for !!!! and the military look should be for military personnel.

So my caveat would be a cafe racer with front pockets and not just the chest ones :D

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I can relate to Seb's comments.

I really don't care for knits on leather jackets. However, between the two jackets presented I personally would probably choose the A-2 over the cafe racer for general wear. That has more to do with my personal style hangups. I can't bring myself to wear my riding jacket (a cafe style custom Langlitz) when I'm not actually out on my bike with the rest of my gear. I originally had thoughts of perhaps wearing the Langlitz for general use when I wasn't going to be out on a bike. When I first brought it home and my son, who was six years old at the time, laid his eyes on it the first thing he blurted out was: "cool motorcycle jacket dad!". (As a young child, I made the same association that my son did as my dad rode and he too owned a cafe style jacket back in the day.) I knew right then, that as great as the jacket looked, I would simply feel too uncomfortable, too much like a poser, wearing it out and about without a bike.

That said, I'm sure that I wear hats/caps/shoes/boots that others would feel too self-conscious about wearing to do so themselves. Yet I do so myself and don't really worry about what others think. So if a cafe racer works for someone else as a general fashion item, then by all means enjoy. I think the style looks great.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've not worn a cafe racer so can't comment on that other than in aesthetic terms. The cafe racer will work on a very trim frame but not IMO if you're carrying excess weight around the middle.
I've owned a GW Doniger and it's a very comfortable A-2 in terms of length (they're often too short as a pattern, being cut for higher waisted trousers), arm movement (inset, rotated sleeve) and armhole (wider and not cut high). As far as A-2 patterns go it's also one of the more elegant and can be worn easily casually or with a shirt/tie underneath (as the neckline is lower/more open than some).

Interesting angle I hadn't thought of. An A2 is indeed a better garment for the larger man.

D

Deleted member 16736

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. They're very informative.

(By the way, I haven't voted yet. Still gathering info...)

majormajor

One Too Many
A Cafe Racer is a bike jacket. An A2 isn't. They are worlds apart.

The comparison is lost on me. And since when were they mutually exclusive?

You may as well compare an A2 with a Peacoat. Or rubber boots with a hat:eeek::);)

D

Deleted member 16736

Come on, Major. They are both leather jackets. No, they are not mutually exclusive, but I am asking if you had to choose one for your general personal use (vs. riding a motorcycle or flying a P-51 Mustang), which one would it be? I ask because this is the very choice I am facing. I don't have money for both and I need to choose one. I have an order with John and it's down to these two jackets, basically, but I want to broaden the discussion so it remains meaningful to the forum in a general way.

I certainly agree about the body requirements for wearing a Cafe Racer. Definitely a jacket for a slender/fit fellow.

majormajor

One Too Many
Come on, Major. They are both leather jackets. No, they are not mutually exclusive, but I am asking if you had to choose one for your general personal use (vs. riding a motorcycle or flying a P-51 Mustang), which one would it be? I ask because this is the very choice I am facing. I don't have money for both and I need to choose one. I have an order with John and it's down to these two jackets, basically, but I want to broaden the discussion so it remains meaningful to the forum in a general way.

I certainly agree about the body requirements for wearing a Cafe Racer. Definitely a jacket for a slender/fit fellow.

OK. If you ride a bike, get a CR. If you don't, then don't.:D;)

Foster

One of the Regulars
The A-2 for me. I like the classic styling and the zippers on the cuffs would annoy me to no end. I use trouser pockets when I need to, so the A-2 pockets don't have to fit my hands. I am not a motorcyclist, so the fashion of the case racer is somewhat lost on me. I can see myself wearing an A-2 at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, even 100 years of age and all numbers between. I can't see myself comfortable in a cafe racer in my senior years.

majormajor

One Too Many
The A-2 for me. I like the classic styling and the zippers on the cuffs would annoy me to no end. I use trouser pockets when I need to, so the A-2 pockets don't have to fit my hands. I am not a motorcyclist, so the fashion of the case racer is somewhat lost on me. I can see myself wearing an A-2 at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, even 100 years of age and all numbers between. I can't see myself comfortable in a cafe racer in my senior years.

+1

Doublegun

Practically Family
I think it is very difficult to compare these jackets because of the knit cuffs and waist band. A better comparison might be the Cafe and a Highwayman, similar to a Cafe but with a shirt like collar and a more forgiving fit.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Joel,
Did you see the pictures of the GW jacket Butte put up a few days ago?? I think it was called the "Ventura" That might be the perfect compromise for you Black leather, small shirt type collar red stiching..Very sharp! definitely a jacket with a ton of style.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm... I don't own any Cafe's and I don't ride. However, any photo's of post-war American bikers will generally show a raft of A-2's being worn by those in the crowd. They were plentiful, cheap (at the time) and better than nothing. One of my fave scenes in the Oscar nominated movie "The Master" shows the protagonists making long, helmetless runs in the desert on some British Twin wearing goggles, cuffed jeans and an A-2. I didn't see any blousing Mr. Hoffman was really riding that thing hell-bent for leather. So while you could wear a Cafe in other surroundings without looking like a total "maroon" it's hard. An A-2 is more versatile and can do more things. Plus I just like collars! LOL!. This is just my personal opinion as I'm no expert.

Worf

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
OK. If you ride a bike, get a CR. If you don't, then don't.:D;)

Yup, got to agree with that - an A-2 might look out of place on non military personnel to some, but a bike jacket without a bike looks equally incongruous to me.

Personally, I prefer to go with an A-1 in any case...

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I was only choosing the A-2 as the lesser of two evils in this case. Similar to the statement above: just as I feel that a non-motorcyclist looks rather funny in a motorcycle jacket. So too do non-military personnel look a bit silly in military jackets. Each case strikes me somewhat like young boys acting out their fantasies.

Also as stated by others, the Ventura would be a far preferable choice for general use.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
A-2 as a garment, no doubt. But for your next jacket?...both are nice.
But overall, in a general context, if the A-2 didn't win this poll here, I'd be very surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto