Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Call of Duty Video Game, WWII Etc. Anyone Play?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not into the games like I used to be. I reviewed them for a website at one time. Some games actually do get experts in the game's subject for input- pilots, naval, tank veterans etc. The good game companies take the extra time and effort to make them better. I only know the PC games and not the new PS2 ones but I have heard good things about the PC version of this game. I've been surprised many times when a game reacts in a realistic manner that I didn't expect.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Not sure, but XBox 360 has the Call of Duty 2, which I've kinda dabbled with at Best Buy. I played Medal of Honor this weekend, another WW2 game, which was just so-so.

BigDuke634

New in Town
I just got Call Of Duty for Christmas. I think it's a pretty good game, good graphics, etc. Another good game is Medal of Honor Pacific Assault. But maybe thats the old Jarhead in me talking........

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I recently got my 15-year-old son the original Call of Duty and its first expansion pack for PC (packaged together for a mere $30 at CircuitCity). He's been playing it *constantly* and is really enjoying it. He especially digs the parts about the 101st Airborne on D-Day, as we had just watched Band of Brothers on the History Channel last weekend. (That's what I call synergy!)

He says it's very realistic, but he's not really informed enough to make such a call. (But, for example, I was impressed to hear that the empty clips fly out of the Garand M1s after eight shots.)

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I loved the Fisrt Call of Duty, want the 2nd one. Medal of Honor is good, the 2nd Rising Sun is OK. I'm waiting to get a used copy of Medal of honor-Big Red 1. Two Other games he might like are Airborne Paratroopers and Sniper Elite, both about WWII. Happy Gaming.

BigDuke634

New in Town
He says it's very realistic, but he's not really informed enough to make such a call. (But, for example, I was impressed to hear that the empty clips fly out of the Garand M1s after eight shots.) Yes, after 8 shots the clips do eject with the realistic "ting" sound. I know this because I own an M1. I would do sound research on the rest of the weapons, but my wife says that I'm not allowed to buy any more.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't know, I'm an urban type with absolutely no hands-on experience with firearms... Though my *mom* (who had been a sergeant in the Marines in WWII) used to own an M1 Carbine! Alas, she sold it before my mature interest in WWII hardware really developed...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
CoD and MoH are great games...my beef is that they've borrowed heavily from popular movies; A Bridge Too Far, Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Enemy at the Gates, etc. Many of these games' battles play out scene for scene battle sequences from the aforementioned movies. They've little to offer in originality. I find myself saying, 'This feels VERY familiar...', especially with CoD.

I'd like to see some attention turned toward the Pacific, especially the early stages of the war. It's an era and locale we pay little attention to.

BigDuke634

New in Town
Wingnut , try out Medal of Honor Pacific Assault. Starts out in Pearl Harbor, and follows several Marine ops on Makin Atoll, Guadalcanal , and Tarawa. EXCELLENT game! And Doc Strange? Semper Fi to mom

Zach R.

Practically Family
I can't speak for the PS2 Games, but I've owned the PC version. I haven't played it since around early 2004 though, but I was pretty impressed at the time by the graphics, not so much by the gameplay. I much preferred Battlefield 1942 to COD and COD over MOH(the gameplay in all of the MOH games degrades after the first 2 or 3 great levels), though some would say they are two different beasts.

Steve

Practically Family
I've played some of Call of Duty II at different stores, and though I'm not an expert on WWII, the game is amazing IMO.

Seth Byrnes

One of the Regulars
I would hesitate to call any Call of Duty games realistic.

I think they might be good entertainment, and perhaps a good gateway into other more depthful interactive media.

Check out the Red Orchestra, Rising Storm series as well as Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum. I would still avoid attaching 'realistic' because I do not think games have matured enough yet, but these titles are structured more around teamplay and strategic thinking over action.

There are a lot of great sim titles out there as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112