Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling A-2 detectives...

Speedster

Practically Family
25 year ago i bought an A-2 at a car-boot sale for DKK 25.- (GBP 2.5/USD 5.-). It was way too small for me. I wear size 42 and the jacket was more a size 36/38. So i bought it for display or for my kids to wear someday (only got the kids 7 and 2 years ago though).

The hide is steer or horse. Definately not goat. The cuff knits are bad replacements and the zipper is also a replacement. The liner is original with stitch traces after the manufactures label. Most of the hide is in very good shape only very worn and thin and dry on the right shoulder sleeve.

Anyone knows what i have? Should i have it renovated or should i leave as it is just for display?

Anyway here are some pictures:

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

rumblefish

One Too Many
Based on the the lower pocket corners and the epaulette not covering the shoulder seam I'd say it's a Bronco.

Nice jacket, thanks for sharing!

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Rumble fish you got it..right as I posted this
It's a Bronco... the shoulder seam is not underneath the epaulettes, like a united sheeplined which is the only other a-2 to have those pockets.
Zipper is replaced at some time as well.

Jerome

jake431

Practically Family
My preference would be to renovate - since it's not a named jacket or anything, it would be nice to see it restored (lovingly and well) to wearable condition.

IMHO of course!

Thanks,
-Jake

Speedster

Practically Family
Thanks

Thanks for your input guys. Cheaterome, the zipper is a later replacement, an Opti. It was on the jacket when i bought it, so it's at least 25 years old (almost vintage by itself, then [huh] )

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This Bronco is easily restorable. Re-stitching should be straight forward, but the lining will need to be opened up to deal with the pocket and the sleeve. The knits could be replaced and it is relatively easy to source an original Talon zip on ebay. I like the grain of this horsehide A2. Good luck with it.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I agree - this is a sound jacket that would fix up well without too much difficulty. I recently restored an A-2 that was in about the same condition as yours when I started and afterwards everyone who saw it said what amazing condition it was in!

OriginalA-2Front.jpg

I think you could do some of the preparatory work yourself. It will make an interesting project. Treat yourself!

Alan

Speedster

Practically Family
Thanks for your inputs, gentlemen. I think i will restore the jacket, and do some of the preparatory work myself.
Should i buy som Pecard's (from the UK) or could/should i use the R.M.Williams hide cream (which i have in the house)?
PADDY said in the IRVIN thread that he used this also on his vintage A-2.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
Thanks for your inputs, gentlemen. I think i will restore the jacket, and do some of the preparatory work myself.
Should i buy som Pecard's (from the UK) or could/should i use the R.M.Williams hide cream (which i have in the house)?
PADDY said in the IRVIN thread that he used this also on his vintage A-2.

I use the RM Williams saddle dressing on my boots, shoes and other leather jackets Speedster with absolutely wonderful results.

And due to Paddy's recommendation I am just about to give the Eastman 1940 Irvin a good going over with the stuff. I also know Paddy uses it on his original A-2s so perhaps rather than splashing out on a new tin of something (plus postage) it's worth having a go with the RM Williams offering.

EDIT: Beautiful jacket by the way Speedster and definitely worth restoring so it can be worn and enjoyed again!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
a Separate question about this fine jacket...

great jacket and glad it's going to be restored...however, i noticed that the left collar (the piece that snaps down...guess it's a collar point or something) is bigger than the right side. i first noticed this type of disparity when i bought a great spiewak and sons milspec a-2...

i thought it was a slight miscut on the collar, but then i noticed on some older a-2's, including ww2 vintage ones now and then, the left collar side is definitely and purposefully slightly bigger. i see that here, and only mention it because i'm curious to know if there's a reason for this, and if it is indeed purposeful, though from the number i've seen, and always on the left side, to my satisfaction it is purposefully done on a number of a-2's

thanks for any info
johnnyjohnny

p.s. i'm talking stage left side

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk