Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft: Brims up please..

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I'm contemplating whether I should take my chances on E-bay to score a vintage OpenRoad for top-dollar or buy a reasonable priced Akubra Campdraft. Buying a Campdraft seems more sensible to me at the moment cause my funds are drying up..

I just need one more push in the Campdraft direction so I searched for pictures of fellow-loungers wearing an Akubra Campdraft with the brim up and came up with nothing.. I really would like to see if this style works with the Campdraft, I know it does with an original OR..

So, please, all you Campdrafters who wear this hat brimmed-up once in a while: post a picture..

thanks in advance, waiting in anticipation.

Diego

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure you will get plenty of useful pictures soon. Meanwhile, while you are waiting, I think there may be a couple in the Campdraft thread. Check posts 270 and 342 to see if they apply. ;)

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
zetwal said:
I'm sure you will get plenty of useful pictures soon. Meanwhile, while you are waiting, I think there may be a couple in the Campdraft thread. Check posts 270 and 342 to see if they apply. ;)

Yep, saw those posts.. is DD Lewis wearing a Campdraft?

There_Will_Be_Blood_04.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
djgo-cat-go said:
Yep, saw those posts.. is DD Lewis wearing a Campdraft?

There_Will_Be_Blood_04.jpg

... brim binding is much wider than a CD or an OR. Likely a custom, eh? Other than that, looks pretty near. Forget about a vintage OR if yer nut is any bigger than 7 1/4 you will pay a king's ransom. Don't neglect the clones too; All the Resitols, the Dobbs Westward, the Mallory Torino et. al.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Since DDL doesn't say outright that he wearing a Campdraft is I really don't know. Still, I thought those two photos may be relevant and of interest to you.

By the way, on the brim up topic, I always loved how JH's hat looks in the picture below. Any ideas what that one could be? :)

ofrrd4.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
I'm expecting one

Diego - I've got a Campdraft in Taupe Fawn being re-ribboned by Major Moore, and as soon as Hatsdirect gets one in, a silverbelly Campdraft coming to me. The silverbelly will get the traditional cattleman Open Road crease, and will be worn brim up. I'll post photos when it comes. I've had both, and other than the prestige of having an "original," I've liked my Akubras just as much as the Stetsons, and they are much easier to find in my size. I tend to wear many of my hats "brim up," especially if it's with casual clothes. Frank

pic but not on my head...

I have this stratton

IMAG0044.jpg

and I've tried it brim up, but it just doesn't work for me. even I can't take myself seriously in it... so when I get time, I'm going to steam the hell out of it (it feels like pressboard) and get it snapped down in the front
---------------
re-reading this... this is kind of a useless post. sorry...

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Rick Blaine said:
Forget about a vintage OR if yer nut is any bigger than 7 1/4 you will pay a king's ransom. Don't neglect the clones too; All the Resitols, the Dobbs Westward, the Mallory Torino et. al.

Yep, I've got a melon size 7 1/2 so that pretty much rules out a vintage OpenRoad for me..

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
frussell said:
Diego - I've got a Campdraft in Taupe Fawn being re-ribboned by Major Moore, and as soon as Hatsdirect gets one in, a silverbelly Campdraft coming to me. The silverbelly will get the traditional cattleman Open Road crease, and will be worn brim up. I'll post photos when it comes. I've had both, and other than the prestige of having an "original," I've liked my Akubras just as much as the Stetsons, and they are much easier to find in my size. I tend to wear many of my hats "brim up," especially if it's with casual clothes. Frank

Thanks Frank, I'd love to see them both in some noggin'-shots..

Spats McGee

One Too Many
djgo-cat-go said:
Yep, I've got a melon size 7 1/2 so that pretty much rules out a vintage OpenRoad for me..
djgo-cat-go, I'm also a 7 1/2, and I would ordinarily agree with you on this. Lately, though (at least in the US), ebay prices seem to have gone a little wonky. I've seen some smaller hats go for outrageous money, and I've seen some larger hats for for pretty reasonable prices. Now, with you in the Netherlands, that may affect your prices & shipping . . . With that said, I've got both an OR from probably the 1980s and a new Campdraft. The CD feels like a bigger hat, with more brim and crown, though I haven't measured either. The CD is taupe fawn and the OR is light gray. I like both, but I think that I wear the CD more often.

brim up

RobFedoraField said:
I have this stratton

IMAG0044.jpg

and I've tried it brim up, but it just doesn't work for me. even I can't take myself seriously in it... so when I get time, I'm going to steam the hell out of it (it feels like pressboard) and get it snapped down in the front
---------------
re-reading this... this is kind of a useless post. sorry...

Hope this helps. I measured it, and it's pretty close to my campdraft's dimensions, and I just can't pull off the Up Brim" I think the "up"s look better on stingy hats.

IMAG0054.jpg

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
RobFedoraField said:
Hope this helps. I measured it, and it's pretty close to my campdraft's dimensions, and I just can't pull off the Up Brim" I think the "up"s look better on stingy hats.

IMAG0054.jpg

You might be right about brims up on stingies, but I actually like the way you wear this hat.. it suits you well.. Thanks for the pictures..

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Did somebody page a brimologist?

Well, I'm not really a brimologist per say but I do play one on the Fedora Lounge. Maybe I'm just a ham!

hpim2224.jpg

hpim2230c.jpg

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
djgo-cat-go said:
Be patient grasshopper I found a 7 5/8 LO for about $40 less than new and 20 more than a CD. Vintage 50's and I got grief from loungers for paying so much.
Tom D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112