Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft/overcoat question

Jauntyone

Practically Family
I've really taken a liking to my Campdraft and I think it looks great with a suit. But the weather is getting chilly, and I don't think it goes well with my winter coat. What do you think? Is the black coat too severe or formal for a thin-ribbon style hat?
day117.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Jauntyone said:
I've really taken a liking to my Campdraft and I think it looks great with a suit. But the weather is getting chilly, and I don't think it goes well with my winter coat. What do you think? Is the black coat too severe or formal for a thin-ribbon style hat?
day117.jpg
I like it. I think the thin ribbon and wider brim suits you well.
But it may be easier to get a grey coat!

kidding.. you may try the Campdraft in silverbelly....

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I agree. The ribbon's not a problem. I think it looks great. The only thing you might go for is grey or silver belly, but the one you have looks fine.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
toobacat said:
I think the thin ribbon looks great with that outfit.

I agree. I've got three thin ribbons now and another coming. One of mine has a cattleman's bash. I didn't think I'd like it, but I do.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey Jaunty, nice combo!

I'm gonna' go a little out on a limb here and say that while I am personally partial to brim sizes like you have pictured, ALL the hats you've posted look good on you. I wouldn't quit the smaller brims if I were you, just keep puttin' that style in the rotation too. The medium/smaller brimmed hats go with your style of suits, in my opinion. Your suits have a '50s/'60s feel to me. But that wide brim, thin ribbon would look great with anything.

The other thing is that I'm a big fan of the 'mis-match' (to a degree). I think the right tan hat with the right black or charcoal or navy coat is a great, classic look. Clashing is, obviously, not the intent but complimenting is very classy and pushing it a little is fun.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If you poke around here a little, you'll find many scans from Esquire showing that kind of combo. Even if there were none, it just seems to work very well.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Thank you all for the advice! I have indeed noticed pictures from Esquire in the 1930's of men matching black hats and brown overcoats or tan and mid-night blue. I just wasn't sure it would look well in real-life. I do think the jet black coat makes the taupe fawn look almost golden by contrast.
My tie isn't vintage (I wish it were!), I bought it on sale at our local C&A department store for three euros. It does get a lot of compliments!

Justdog

Practically Family
Coat

Jauntyone said:
day117.jpg

Agree with getting another hat of course:)
A dark brown coat would look great with that hat.
A Darker Brown trench would go as well.
It still works as it id though.
And the Hat does suit you.

Retro66

New in Town
Jauntyone said:
Thanks for the opinions! I've just ordered a silverbelly Campdraft from hats direct. I think it'll go much better with the coat.

Is the silverbelly in stock now? did you order it online, or phone them up?

thanks in advance!

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Retro66 said:
Is the silverbelly in stock now? did you order it online, or phone them up?

thanks in advance!

I sent an email enquiry on Nov. 14th and got an answer the next day from Deb Leake. She said they had my size in stock (size 60) and would hold it until I ordered--which I did right away! It will take about ten days to get here, I think.
I can't wait....!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Nice, but stick to those STINGIES in le business suit!:rolleyes:

The wider brim pour le weekend, non? avec les blue jeans?

duggap

Banned
One comment on silverbelly. The term makes you think you are getting somethng in the blue/grey colors but it is really a very light beige and more in the arena of brown. I admit I have never had an Akruba in silverbelly, but I suspect it will be the same as with the other brands that I do have.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk