Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can an old hat be rejuvenated?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
So many years ago(about 30) I wore an old big brimmed trilby by 'Attaboy,' probably an old 1940s type with a high crown. This hat served me as a delivery driver for many years keeping sun, snow and rain off me for about 10 years. I even got my picture in YOU magazine(Daily Mail Sunday supplement) back in 1983 wearing this hat, describing me as a Howard Hughes 'Enthusiast'
Eventually it went all sloppy and would not keep its shape. Back then before the internet with forums like this I had no idea if this could be stiffened up to regain its shape or even if hats could be restored. I took it to Dunn & Co where the delight to see an old hat like this on the owners face was a pleasure to behold. Unfortunately it could not regain its shape so I binned it. Really because I looked a bit like Arthur Haynes when chatting to Dermot Kelly
Well I have just acquired a similar hat, want to wear it in all weathers but dont really want it to go all floppy again. No longer on the multi drop I wear it as an when required, what can I do or treat it with? I only ever store it on a flat surface, the front of the brim hanging over the edge.
Thanks, J

job

One Too Many
Sheplers.com felt hat stiffener with steaming it will fix your other hat. They also sell other hat care products.

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Rocketeer, I would also suggest sending the hat to a hatter to be restored, I have used Falcon Park Hattery and Optimo, both in the Chicago area and they both do a wonderful job.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for that:) pjt but I am in the UK, also i dont have that hat anymore. It was my favourite for many years. I just dont want the new one to go the same way.
Job, I checked out Sheplers and will have an in depth look later.
Thanks for the replies, J

BigDog

New in Town
Thanks for that:) pjt but I am in the UK, also i dont have that hat anymore. It was my favourite for many years. I just dont want the new one to go the same way.
Job, I checked out Sheplers and will have an in depth look later.
Thanks for the replies, J

You don't have that hat anymore? You got rid of it, how do you do that?;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Nope, I just threw it away, the hat had gone all floppy like a tramps hat, there were no internet forums in those days to help out. I dont want the latest hat to go the same way(It's a Dunn and Co).
Old style fedora's and trilby's are real hard to find New Old Stock these days. I even tried the shop in Jermyn Street that supplied Howard Hughes with his 40s style hats when he stayed in London, they had some but at £200 back in the early 1990s that was toooooo much for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters