Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can this be repaired?

Bammerman

New in Town
As I've said elsewhere, I'm shopping for a (used) Cooper A2. I've found a great deal on one - a 50th anniversary commemorative A-2 from 1995, inside lining has a picture of a WWII flight crew - because it has a blemish: the previous owner, unfortunately, glued stars to the epaulets (!). The stars have been removed but there is some damage, as you can see in this picture: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqbgyn/
I'd be grateful if you'd look at the photo and give me your advice about whether this is repairable. Small paintbrush and tan dye? Thanks.

Baggers

Practically Family
It doesn't look too bad. At least he didn't poke any holes in the hide.

Assuming there's no glue residue remaining to clog up the hide, you might try a little brown shoe polish. Get a shade that matches as closely as possible and work a tiny amount in with a soft cloth. It might take more than one application, but it should at least tone down the damage.

Cheers!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Wow! The previous owner was no less than a 5 star general!

LOL :rolleyes: Too bad for the current owner who apparently didn't know this and now can not repair the damage. I saw this one online also just this evening.
Okay kidding aside, I'm certain the damage can be repaired. First of all, you would have to remove any traces of glue that may remain on the surface of the leather. Acetone used very carefully with Q-tips, would probably be your best bet for disolving most glues that would commonly be used such as contact cement or super glue. Be careful with it as it will remove the finish! However the final step in your repairs will cover any losses of color and finish.If the surface of the leather is actually missing in some areas, and if you are particularly handy and artistically inclined, then you can use artist's acrylic paints to touch up any bald spots. Also this should be used to restore color to areas that appear a bit bleached out, only used a bit thinned out with matte medium and a little water.
I would mix Ivory Black with Burnt Umber to match this color. First wet any areas that are totally devoid of finish with a little water on a small brush, and let the water soak into the leather.Then use whatever color mixture you have previously mixed up, full strength, (that is somewhat thick) to match and to simulate the texture of the leather in these areas.
Hope this helps, if any more questions then feel free to ask. If you don't feel confident enough to attempt this on your own I will be happy to assist you further if I can. I'm certain I could restore this to like new condition, as I have had to fix a few mistakes I have made in my own personal nose art jackets. Good luck, :cheers1:

Bammerman

New in Town
Thanks, Baggers and Major Nick Danger

...for the helpful and encouraging advice. I think it looks like something I might be able to deal with. Now whether I can get into a size 40 is something else altogether....

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Doubts?

Bammerman said:
... Now whether I can get into a size 40 is something else altogether....

If you are still in serious doubt as to fit, maybe it would be better to go with a 42? (I recall this discussion from another thread.)
Are there no shops in your area that you might try on some jackets before deciding?

green papaya

One Too Many
going by your body weight a size 40 is too small because I remember you said you weighed around 170? size 40 would fit a person with a size 36 - 38 chest

a size 40 is more for a medium sized person that weighs around 145 - 150 max

I think it would be wiser to spend a little more and get one thats going to fit right.

it's always better for it to be slightly bigger than too small

Bammerman

New in Town
in my mind, I still weigh 150

...like I did for most of my life. It's hard to change your self-concept, isn't it?
More seriously: I wonder why Neil Cooper USA still says to go for your "normal size" (or words to that effect).
In any case, thanks for your counsel. No point in getting a jacket that's uncomfortable, is there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points